Tyre Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

foolsgold

What is the easiest way to put back on a road tyre after a punture? I found it a struggle when it starts to get tight. Any tips appreciated.

simon_brooke

Firstly, not all rims and not all tyres are exactly the same. Secondly, kevlar bead (folding) tyres have even less give than wire bead tyres and can be total bitches to get on. If your tyres are really causing you problems in this respect it might be a reason for experimenting with wire beads (non folding) or a different make. I don't have strong thumbs and therefore sometimes struggle, so I offer this advice with the benefit of experience.

(1) ensure the first bead is in the rim all the way around.
(2) put the valve through the hole, then push the tube into the tyre all the way around; pump just enough air into the tube to round it out (this helps avoid pinching)
(3) starting at the valve, start putting the second bead into the rim.
(4) push the valve back into the tyre so as to prevent the tube pinching adjacent to the valve hole.
(5) working in both directions round the wheel, ease the second bead into the rim - ideally end up directly opposite the valve.
(6) if you can push the last bit of the second bead in with your thumbs, cheer!
(7) otherwise, using PLASTIC tyre levers and with care not to pinch the tube, force the bugger. Note that you often need two tyre levers to do this; note that you can break tyre levers doing this!

Steel tyre levers WILL damage alloy rims if you use the brute force method.

In my shed, my tools are kept in an old chest of drawers. the top of one drawer is just above waist height. I open this drawer & rest the rim on it so that the tyre needed to be put on is on top, grab the tyre with hand just about where it is uver the rim and pust down & away while holding the wheel with the other hand. The tyre wil begin to move into the rim. When movement stops, rotate wheel and repeat.

Top Bottom