Tyre Lever + Crank Brothers Speed Lever - any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

What levers do you use :tongue:

c+-recomm-buy-crank-bros-sp.jpg

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Well I used the speed lever only last week to remove a Michelin Lithion from a Shimano wheel on Mrs A's bike and it worked splendidly. I think the secret is a liberal dose of french chalk on the tyre bead and to rotate the speed lever at its point of contact with the rim. Good bit of kit IMHO.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Never tried one myself, however I was on a ride a few months ago when someone punctured and tried to use one of these new fangled things, all sorts of problems, he then tried with my three traditional old school plastic levers, the tyre was off in seconds, he threw the thing in the bin when he got home. This was a mountain bike tyre, not sure of how it would work on a road bike. Normal tyre levers are so simple, work so well and are very cheap, I can't see the reason to change.

llllllll

I've got one of those, not much cop IMHO. It's absolutely useless on any tyre that can't be undone with normal levers. My favourites are the Weldite ones, sold in packs of three for £2. They don't last forever but work very well and at that cost who's complaining.

dodgy

I've got a speedlever, used once for the novelty value and remains to this day at the bottom of my toolkit somewhere.

At least it's cheap, so worth a punt.

Dave.

It's reassuring to find I'm not the only one who's wrestled with a Speed Lever. More money I've wasted.

They don't fly very well either, or at least mine didn't when I hurled it across the garden towards the bin.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

yello

I've not had a problem using the speed lever (once I got the hang of it) but I wouldn't say it's any better (or worse) than normal tyre levers. I use whichever is closest to hand.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Steve Austin said:
The speedlever works for me. but then again so does every other tyre lever i've ever used.

Thats soo typical of you that Steve.

Don't tell me, evey bike you've tried - you've been able to ride ! :?:

Top Bottom