Tyre Levers for Fat Tyres.....Recommendations please.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got my first flat on the new bike today. Started to change it at the road side only for my trusty old Park Tool TL-4's to both give up the ghost one after the other :cry:

20170806_112200_resized.jpg

So any recommendations for something more suited to the task would be welcome.

A quick Google shows THESE and THESE at Ribble, but do I need to go so heavy duty?

TBH after a 2 mile walk home in MTB boots whilst holding the front of the bike up to avoid damage to the tyre wall I've not tried anything else yet, but I've only got other plastic levers and spoons to try, so I don't know yet if the TL-4's were just old and worn out, (doubt it though), or if the tyres are going to be feckers to get off.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Pedros, or even the Decathlon ones. Predros are the only ones I feel confident getting Schwalbe Snow Studs on with. I carry the Decathlon ones with me usually.

Pedros

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pedros-tyre...c|pcrid|67090840622|pkw||pmt||prd|100354113uk

Decathlon

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/tyre-lever-set-id_8047839.html

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
So I'm just back from the shed with a new tube fitted and re-inflated, (granted it was pretty tight to get off), and all thanks to some ancient generic plastic levers, so not a good advert for Park Tools.

Never the less I've fired a warranty claim off to them, we'll what they say.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You don't need to use levers at all unless the beads are particularly recalcitrant, use you're fingers. If this won't work put the wheel on the ground and use your heels, working from the sides to the centre. Used to use this method on motorbike tyres.

I want to put in a word for Parks TL-1. They are able to with stand 16 Marathon +, I think they will make quick work of your fat tyres.

(I used to break one lever every time I change a marathon plus - which, oddly, was often. Never managed to brake one of these)

Sharky

Guru
Good old fashioned tyre levers from Halfords of all places.....

20170806_140332.jpg

Metal and have the hook to hook onto the spokes.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
After changing it with some old basic plastic levers I found in my spares box I've just ordered a set of Pedro's :okay:

Couldn't see any point in going heavy duty really.

And they can damage your rims. Talc the tyre inside and tube. Pedros are about the toughest plastic levers. Served me well. Are the Nobby Nic's wired ? Got them on my Boardman Pro FS (27.5's) but no idea if wired or folding version. I have folding tyres on my old 26" retro MTB - as they are so easy to fit. Michelin usually, but have On-one Chunky Monkey's 2.4's on currently. Heavy, but great grip. Easy to fit being folding.

Talc is the answer !!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The tyres aren't tubeless are they?
Tubeless do have a bit of a reputation for being difficult if the sealant doesn't work and you want to put a tube in. Go all round the tyre, pushing the tyre bead in to the centre of the rim, before you try levering.

I always have these in my saddle pack. Snapped too many plastic ones in remote places!
Likewise. I prefer the flat levers rather than squashed round bar.
I use Lezyne Sabre levers at home.

I reckon the bit about steel levers damaging the rims is a bit of a myth anyway. I've been using steel levers any time this last 25 years without any damage.
I did spend a year or so using various bendy and breakable plastic levers, in the interests of weight saving, but gave up when I didn't trust the plastic levers enough to leave the steel ones at home.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Put all three levers under the bead, and then hook them onto the spokes, one by one. If you insert one and lever it down, you'll find that the next lever is an absolute bugger to insert.

Top Bottom