Tyre levers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I have just spent over an hour and ruined two tubes because I couldn't control the conventional tyre levers while changing a tube with a defective valve. The problem is worsening arthritis in my fingers, especially in my thumb. I just cannot use my fingers to roll the tyre over the rim and the tyre levers just seem to go where they want to.

Are there alternatives to the normal tyre levers that could make the job easier. I was looking at the Crank Brothers Tool Speedier Lever. Has anyone used one? I just don't feel like going out now in case I need to change a tube on the roadside so i would love to get something sorted out.

Katherine

Guru
Spoons? :smile:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I suspect also that you may have been struggling with a wire rimmed tyre. Folding tyres may be a bit pricier but, for me at least, they're worth it for the calming effect they have on my puncture stress levels.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
I received my VAR lever this morning and have just had a play. I was able to fit a tight tyre without using my thumbs which was a big help. I had to use the lever over a longer area of the tyre than others have said simply because I couldn't get the bead over the rim by hand, but using the VAR tool took it bit by bit until the bead suddenly popped home. A bit of practice and I will soon have it off to a fine art!

I hope my mother doesn't see this. You will be in beeeeg trouble.

Just received one with a couple of new Marathon Racers for my 20/26 'bent.

The lever bit lasted all of 2 minutes (at most). Defeated by the 20" Marathon Plus that had to come off - even though I'd pushed the bead into the rim well. Won the battle with a Crank Bros lever and 2 steelies (and not spoons either....)

The other bit of the Var tool works though - the lever to snap a recalcitrant bead back into place. But you still have to wrestle the wire bead into the rim well as much as is humanly possible first. And wrestle the tool back out from under the bead.

Suspect both tools very much better matched to other tyres and rims - my 700cx25 Gatorskins would be a doddle.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Just received one with a couple of new Marathon Racers for my 20/26 'bent.

The lever bit lasted all of 2 minutes (at most). Defeated by the 20" Marathon Plus that had to come off - even though I'd pushed the bead into the rim well. Won the battle with a Crank Bros lever and 2 steelies (and not spoons either....)

The other bit of the Var tool works though - the lever to snap a recalcitrant bead back into place. But you still have to wrestle the wire bead into the rim well as much as is humanly possible first. And wrestle the tool back out from under the bead.

Suspect both tools very much better matched to other tyres and rims - my 700cx25 Gatorskins would be a doddle.
If you lift the side of the VAR tool that sits on the opposite side of the rim and allow it to go past the rim then the whole tool will be able to swing right round allowing the hooky bit to simply pop out.
I've had one for years.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I received my VAR lever this morning and have just had a play. I was able to fit a tight tyre without using my thumbs which was a big help. I had to use the lever over a longer area of the tyre than others have said simply because I couldn't get the bead over the rim by hand, but using the VAR tool took it bit by bit until the bead suddenly popped home. A bit of practice and I will soon have it off to a fine art!
Thanks for posting this. I have all sorts of problems with my hands nowadays and mending a flat is not on my to do list and I sometimes ride in fear of one. I think that I might well invest in one of these gadgets myself :smile:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Ha ha.
I'm using the ones my husband first borrowed knicked from the kitchen drawer many years ago and, yes, he was in beeeeg trouble!

When I read this I was instantly transported back to the early 1960's and my Dad fixing punctures on his bike in the hall, because it was cold/dark/wet, or all three outside and something he had no choice about doing for his 8 mile commute, as we didn't have a car. His tyre levers of choice were the handles of forks and spoons from the cutlery drawer; much to my Mum's annoyance. And there were a couple of them he couldn't straighten.
:smile:
It's odd how sometimes another's comments can bring back long forgotten memories. :thanks:

Mrs M

Guru
When I read this I was instantly transported back to the early 1960's and my Dad fixing punctures on his bike in the hall, because it was cold/dark/wet, or all three outside and something he had no choice about doing for his 8 mile commute, as we didn't have a car. His tyre levers of choice were the handles of forks and spoons from the cutlery drawer; much to my Mum's annoyance. And there were a couple of them he couldn't straighten.
:smile:
It's odd how sometimes another's comments can bring back long forgotten memories. :thanks:
We used spoons for tyre levers as kids.
Remember around the time Uri Geller was on TV, we just blamed him :smile:

Top Bottom