Tyre levers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can get some of my tyres off some of my wheels (and put them back on) without using tyre levers. More troublesome combinations require the assistance of tyre levers. My old plastic levers are not brilliant and I was thinking of buying replacements but then the latest copy of Cycling Plus came through my letter box (yes - I still subscribe!) with a pair of C+ tyre levers included as a freebie.

They look better than my old levers at the end that would be used in the normal way. I am just a bit baffled by a strange cut-out at the other end of each lever. I'm not sure if it is for decoration or is functional. The only use that I can think of is possibly to help pull the bead of the tyre onto the rim.

Take a look at this photo and see what you think ...

Tyre levers.png

Functional or decorative? :whistle:

Tim Hall

It's to lock the lever into position, by hooking it round a spoke, while you put the next one in.

Elysian_Roads

Mind you, that design probably allows for the lever to go on a peg on the neatly ordered workshop peg board....

Attachments

• Workshop-Off-Beat-Bike-tools.jpg
    Workshop-Off-Beat-Bike-tools.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 35

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You need a VAR tyre lever, even this 'clumsy b*gger' can get a recalcitrant tyre on with one,

View: https://youtu.be/S_-49Pora3I

Brandane

Legendary Member
I've always found that, apart from on the loosest fitting of tyres (i.e. MTB) those bits for hooking onto spokes are a waste of time. If you actually hook your first lever onto a spoke, then you make the tyre so tight onto the rim that you can't even get the second lever between bead and rim. I've always had to hold the first one about right angles to the wheel rim, then get the second one in and take it from there.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've always found that, apart from on the loosest fitting of tyres (i.e. MTB) those bits for hooking onto spokes are a waste of time. If you actually hook your first lever onto a spoke, then you make the tyre so tight onto the rim that you can't even get the second lever between bead and rim. I've always had to hold the first one about right angles to the wheel rim, then get the second one in and take it from there.
I'm glad it isn't only me.

Top Bottom