Tyre on the wrong way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
>>>If you have them the wrong way round the wheels will go backwards instead of forwards and you may crash into the vehicle behind<<<

Not like in Sams case where the front is right and the rear is wrong, depending on how strong your frame is you could end up going no where, or sat in the road in a heap with both halves of your bike going in opposite directions.:wacko:

on the road

Über Member
It doesn't matter if the tyre's on the wrong way round. But it's easy to change, just take the wheel off the bike, lever the tyre off with plastic tyre levers then turn it around and put it back on, simples.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
on the road said:
It doesn't matter if the tyre's on the wrong way round. But it's easy to change, just take the wheel off the bike, lever the tyre off with plastic tyre levers then turn it around and put it back on, simples.

- really? That's amazing!

jimboalee

OP, while you were typing your original post, you could have been changing the tyre round.

The arrow would have then been pointing the correct way and there would be no need to post this thread.

snorri

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
OP, while you were typing your original post, you could have been changing the tyre round.
That's a moot point jimboalee, some tyres can be a tight fit and quite difficult to get over the rim, much more time consuming than typing a post on here. (You knew that of course:biggrin:)

Norm

I wonder about the "right" and "wrong" way to fit tyres.

That linked site (great link, by the way) says that "this only makes a real difference on aggressive off road tyres..." and I'm coming at this from a life on the farm where the direction of tyres is important or they don't clean properly.

Anyway, my point relates to the directional arrow not changing depending on whether the tyre is used on the front or the rear, because the inter-action of the tyre with the ground is completely different. In other words, pedalling drives the rear tyre which moves the vehicle forward, whereas the front tyre is driven by the ground, so the forces (friction etc) operate in entirely the opposite direction between the front and rear tyre.

Should you not, therefore, be fitting directional tyres in opposite configurations, depending on whether they are going on the front or the rear?

Sometimes, I play strange games inside my head when I'm out on the bike. :ohmy:

zacklaws

Guru
>>>>and I'm coming at this from a life on the farm where the direction of tyres is important or they don't clean properly<<<<

So I take it then that all the mud I've been cycling through on the roads this past week has been from tractors with there tyres on the wrong way round, the next time I'm following a tractor, instead of keeping well back from all the flying mud, I'll shout to the driver "Oi, your tyres are on the wrong way round" and he'll probably shout back "get stuffed, Sheldon Brown says it does not matter"

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
MTB tyres need to fitted correctly or they don't work properly.

even a marathon plus tyre needs to fitted properly. riding them fitted the wrong way will increase drag, and resistance. why make your life difficult?

Top Bottom