Tyre options for new wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fraz101

I’ve just ordered a custom set of wheels from DCR, I have a virtually brand new set of 700 x 28

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-zaffiro-pro-training-folding-clincher-road-tyre

I was thinking of maybe buying a nicer set for summer. I can see Continental GP5000 are very popular but are a bit expensive for me.

What would you all recommend for me without braking the bank…..or would you you all rate what I have as ok to use for the summer?

What’s hot and what’s not, at a reasonable price for summer rides in the dry!

I don’t have much experience with road tyres at all.

Tyre size will be 700 x 25-28 tubed

Thanks

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Just use the Zaffiros if you're happy with them. Nothing wrong for summer leisure riding.

Are the new wheels tubeless ready...if so, you could possibly maybe have a little battle getting tubed tyres on (see if DCR has any experience of challenging tyres for those rims)

T4tomo

Guru
Just use the Zaffiros if you're happy with them. Nothing wrong for summer leisure riding.

Are the new wheels tubeless ready...if so, you could possibly maybe have a little battle getting tubed tyres on (see if DCR has any experience of challenging tyres for those rims)

Second this, although if you did want something lighter, on the basis I found Lifeline prime armour and a pretty decent copy of Conti 4 seasons when i had them on my commuter bike, I'd be tempted with a gamble on the Lifeline prime Road race, to be their take on GP5000s.

No idea how good the puncture proofing is, but the Armours were good.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Yes DCR wheels are tubeless ready, I’ll ask them when they are ready to be sent out.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Yes they are tubeless ready and it states normal tubes and clinchers may be difficult to mount……

Maybe I will go tubeless again…..?

What gets me is, I know I can put a tube in for a short term measure but surely it’s going to be messy at the side of the road with all the sealant inside?

vickster

Legendary Member
Don’t know, never had tubeless.
That said no roadside (or any) punctures for a number of years (that’s me jinxed)

T4tomo

Guru
don't worry, all the sealant will have squirted all over your trousers.:laugh:

plenty of other "should i go tubeless or not" threads for you to explore without this descending into one, however any tubeless ready tyres will cost you more that the non tubeless version of GP5000s you thought was a bit much ££......

vickster

Legendary Member
I wasn’t actually suggesting he goes tubeless, just he checks with DCR whether any tubed tyres are known to be an utter mare with those rims and thus broken thumbs could be avoided :laugh:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Stick with what you have it’s more than fast enough

Top Bottom