Tyre pressure 28mm?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bondirob

I'm moving up from 25mm to 28mm wide tyres. Currently I run at 100psi front and just under 120psi rear. I weigh about 100kg.
After many pinch flats and faffing about these pressures do the trick.
Would anyone know how much I dare drop the pressure with 28's?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
65 front, 85 rear. 28mm, bike and rider maybe 80kg. I like my teeth to stay in. Not had a pinch flat since maybe 2002 and I suspect I'd had a slow puncture before hitting a pothole. BQTireDrop.pdf is a good file to search for.

U

User33236

Rear tyre:Tyre Width=28: Pressure (in PSI)= (0.33 * Rider Weight in lbs) + 33.33

Front tyre = 0.9 x rear tyre pressure.

Kajjal

Guru
It depends on the tyres, not all 28mm tyres are the same size. Just look on the side wall and see what the pressure range is. At 100KG like me you would want to be near the top end to begin with. Then just experiment to see what suits you and the riding you do.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
About 90 front 100 rear on the Ridgeback (Marathons) and a bit less on the Raleighs (most of which have 28s on just not as good at coping with high pressure as the Schwalbes)

OP
OP
B

bondirob

Thanks for the advice everyone.
I've done the equation kindly posted by User33236 and come up with 105 rear and 95 front so I'll give that a go.

My 28s (Vredestein) have a max rating of 80 psi on them, so I go for that. It does make me a bit nervous running them that low, as I'm used to 25c tyres at 120 on my other bikes!

Top Bottom