Tyre pressure gauge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pedal pusher

Veteran
Can anybody recommend a decent tyre pressure gauge ? I now that the gauge on the track pump I use is somewhat wayward at the best of times

Profpointy

Legendary Member
When you say "wayward" - it's important to distinguish between inconsitant qnd merely wrong value. What matters is being consistent. Doesn't matter at all if the actual number is right, as you'll determine the optimum pressure on your bike for your purposes by trial and error (comfort, rolling restance, punctures etc) - so providing it's consitent, you're ok for next time.

If it's inconsistent, then you need a seperate one - i bought a cheap digital no brand one from somewhere or other - possibly wiggle, or possibly somewhere more car oriented and it's fine - and incidentally reads pretty much same as the one on the track pump.

Any chance of someone recommending an actual model?

I've had two of the Topeak D1s and both have gone wonky.

Just bought this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...+Gauge+BMP90&gclid=CN6ooMTk0roCFYbJtAodKHUAaQ

but it doesn't work at all unless I'm too thick to use something with just one button.

I know Topeak (usually a good company) now has a D2 but after wasting money on two of their previous efforts I'm not inclined to push more money their way.

Surprised that this question isn't getting more answers - maybe it's in the wrong place.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm using one bought years ago, name has long since rubbed of it. Designed for motor vehicle use but goes upto 140 psi.
Of more use when using petrol station air pumps or making certain that all four wheels on the Brox are within limits. Especially if I'll be using it for load carrying as opposed to riding it for fun, when higher pressures are used.

Mickthemove

Über Member
I have a topeak D2 ans used it once, it is much better to invest in a decent track pump that gives accurate pressure readings. I would only use the D2 out on the road if I had a puncture and was using a hand pump to re inflate.

Thanks for the view mickthemove - decision made - given up on fancy pressure gauges - won't be buying the D2 - the perfectly decent track pump I use has a pressure gauge and cost a fair bit less than the D2! And I have a couple of Topeak Morph pumps - also with pressure gauges - that didn't cost that much more than the D2 - waiting for someone to bring out a handy pressure gauge with integrated pump and watch the prices fall :smile:

Top Bottom