Tyre pressure - massive wheel load difference!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beany_bot

Veteran
So I am trying to figure out my optimal tyre pressure (28C tyres on a cross bike used for roads). I am 85Kg

I read the most accurate way was to weight each wheel as you sit on the bike (wheel load).
But I have a much bigges disparency than I see anywhere else online.
My weights were 58Kg on the back wheel and 38Kg on the front wheel. Which would (by most graph) give me a rear wheel PSI of 100Psi!! on 28C tyres! and a front PSI of only 60....
100/60 seems a bit weird? anyone try this wheel load thing?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You're thinking too much about it. Check the tyre walls. There should be 'inflate to min/max'.
Go for somewhere inbetween, ride and adjust for comfort.
It's as simple as that.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
So I am trying to figure out my optimal tyre pressure (28C tyres on a cross bike used for roads). I am 85Kg

I read the most accurate way was to weight each wheel as you sit on the bike (wheel load).
But I have a much bigges disparency than I see anywhere else online.
My weights were 58Kg on the back wheel and 38Kg on the front wheel. Which would (by most graph) give me a rear wheel PSI of 100Psi!! on 28C tyres! and a front PSI of only 60....
100/60 seems a bit weird? anyone try this wheel load thing?
You need to weigh both wheel weights simultaneously unless the bike weighs 31Kg :eek: your figures don't add up. Position on the bike alters weight distribution.

I'd say 100 rear 80 front was about right on 28s but I'm a touch heavier than you.

Venod

Eh up
85 psi rear 75psi front would be my starting point for your weight and tyre width, go for a ride and adjust as required, 100psi for 28 mm seems a bit high to me.

gbb

Legendary Member
Ive never checked what actual pressures i run at....and i'm 61 ^_^
Inflate until hard using a press of the thumb into the tyre as a guage.. On rare occasions ive found the ride jarring, deflate a little.

CXRAndy

Guru
You could start with recommended max tyre pressure, then keep lowering 5psi until tyres feel just a little squishy whilst cornering. Then just add a couple of PSI

You could go upto 30/32mm for greater air volume and run lower pressure. Also tubeless is a fair bit lower too, see above method

I run 40 mm tyres at 50R 45F. but run 25mm at 90R 85F. My 40mm G Ones are so nice to ride and only slightly slower, I much prefer them

Top Bottom