Tyre Pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phillc

Veteran
Confused:scratch: I have a Triban 3 have been keeping both tyres at 100psi. Just been reading on the internet that this might be wrong. As l read it might back tyre might need to be between 90 & 100 psi and the front could be as low as 60psi. My tyres are 700/23, l ride on the road and l weigh about 15st. what do you all think.
Sorry I have just used the search engine and think i could have opened a can of worms. I'going to go for 95psi back and 90psi front and go from there. Would still like any words of wisdom you can give me on tyre pressure.
Happy and safe cycling
phill

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The size of your tyres affects what pressure you need, Phil. For example - huge mountain bike tyres would be too hard at 60 PSI, whereas 23C road bike tyres would be too soft.

You'll get replies from people telling you that you should be riding standard 23C tyres at 120+ PSI but all I can say is that the pneumatic tyre was invented for a reason - to take the bumpiness out of bumpy roads, and at 120 PSI, bumpy roads feel very bumpy indeed!

Many UK roads are in a shocking state, so using lower pressures will make life a lot more comfortable. If you go too low, then rolling resistance increases dramatically and you will start getting snakebite punctures (pinch flats).

I like to have about 10 PSI more in the back tyre and generally have them at about 90 PSI front and 100 PSI rear which is a sensible compromise between comfort and efficiency. I might go +/- 10 PSI from those figures on particularly good/awful road surfaces. I'm about the same weight as you.

Octet

Veteran
I normally keep my tyres about 10 or so PSI below the MAX rating.
I personally haven't noticed a difference if one tyre has more air in it then the other tyre but then again I suppose it would change depending on the road surface.

Whatever mix you choose, just make sure you read the tyre walls for your Minimum and Maximum pressures, otherwise you risk doing them damage.
Around 100 PSI is about what you would expect, for example my tyres MAX at 116 PSI so I wouldn't want to go up to 120 PSI but they have a minimum of 85 PSI so I certainly wouldn't want to try 60!

I run around 100-105psi rear and 95-100psi front and I'm not too particular about topping up, I run 23c's too and don't really notice any benefit of going harder but I notice the disbenefit, a harsher ride. When they are needing topped up I do feel their performance ebbing but that may be just an excuse for me going slow ;) the last time I weighed my self I was about 9.5st so I don't bother about the p'ture factor which is more important for other riders, ColinJ sums it up well.

Cyclist33

11.5 stone, running about 110/95 psi rear/front on my 23s. I'm still experimenting with it at the mo... The rear seems equally comfy between 100 and 120. Think performance at my level is less important than speed, so might go down to 105/90.

D

Deleted member 23692

I use the spreadsheet calc off this website - http://www.biketinker.com/tire-pressure-calculator/

Seems to work OK for both my bikes

byegad

Legendary Member
At 15st on such narrow tyres 100psi sounds right. I rode similar width tyres at 120psi, the sidewall maximum and really couldn't ride them much lower. I weighed 15st 7lbs in those days.

Top Bottom