tyre pressure.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam Robertson

on a 700x32c. I tried to inflate a new tube to 90 PSI doing so got to about 70/80 PSI and the valve snapped half way up the thread I'm using a hand pump with a gauge it was a new inertude shell I go by rule of thumb next time ? thanks

Peteaud

Veteran

Peteaud

Veteran
would it make a difference peteaud why did it snap I wasn't wiggling it side to side ?

I hate hand pumps trying to get high pressure as it does become more difficult.

You might have been unlucky with a dodgy valve.

I prefere a track pump as it about a million times quicker and easier.

One other thing, the LBS told me (ages ago) that for a road bike tyre you need a thin pump, not a fat one, again it makes it easier.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
would it make a difference peteaud why did it snap I wasn't wiggling it side to side ?

Could have been a dodgy valve/tube. But it would also have been from movement or similar. You probably couldn't perceive the movement, but chances are if you are using a typical hand pump and are trying to force in high pressures, you will have been moving the valve. I have lost count of the number of presta valves I have damaged trying to gorilla them to a reasonable pressure using a shitty hand pump.

A track pump like the Joe Blow Sport 2 is a godsend and pretty much anyone who hasn't tried one, will wish they had done so a long time ago once they do give it a go.

Cyclist33

that what it says ...I thought that

I would think no more than 75 on the rear, slightly less on front. Unless the tyres are continental and skinnier than their rated width.

darth vadar

Über Member
I can also recommend a track pump - so-oooooo much easier to use. No more huffing and puffing trying to get up to the big pressures!

I also bought a Topeak Turbo Morph for when I go for a ride. It looks just like a 'mini track pump' so should make things a whole lot easier if/when I do get a puncture.

Cycling is supposed to be fun, so don't make it hard for yourself.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod

I've got one of these and it's the best bit of cycling kit I own. I just used a colleagues cheapy track pump to get my tyres up to 110psi and had to pretty much sit my fat old arse on the handle to get the air into the tyre!

Typhon

So I had to replace the inner tubes on my Triban 3 today. On the wheel it says the pressure should be 100 psi but at around 60 they were rock hard. I pumped them up further to 70 but then just left them at that. They are definitely harder now than they were when I picked up the bike from Decathlon. Should I try and pump them up even further or just leave them as they are? The wheels are 700 x 23 by the way.

I see why road bike users have tyre levers now. I had only ever changed MTB wheels before (a long time ago when I was a kid). They were a real bugger to get off. Think I'll have to get myself a set.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The tyres will have a minimum and maximum psi stated on the side.
So somewhere in the middle and what you feel comfortable with.

Typhon

There's no minimum stated unfortunately. Just a recommended psi of 100 and a max of 115. I would estimate that when I picked it up it had around 50 psi and it now has 70 so whilst I am a long way outside that "range" it is still more pumped up than when they sold it to me, so it can't be too bad?

Being new to cycling it's difficult to know what exactly is a normal pressure in a tyre of this size as I have no framing reference.

Top Bottom