tyre pressure.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There's no minimum stated unfortunately. Just a recommended psi of 100 and a max of 115. I would estimate that when I picked it up it had around 50 psi and it now has 70 so whilst I am a long way outside that "range" it is still more pumped up than when they sold it to me, so it can't be too bad?

Being new to cycling it's difficult to know what exactly is a normal pressure in a tyre of this size as I have no framing reference.
I have my tyre pressures a lot lower than many cyclists, but even I recommend 80-90 PSI front and 90-100 PSI rear for a 23C tyre. (The rear wheel has more weight on it than the front one so it needs more pressure.) Tyres at higher pressures roll a bit better and lower pressures are more comfortable. Experiment to see what you prefer. The roads round here are very bumpy so I tend to choose lower rather than higher.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Being of the larger variety I need higher pressures than others to avoid pinch punctures, these are the pressures I've used with no problems, I have used higher pressures as well but I prefer lower pressure and more comfort....my weight on these pressures has been between 16 and 18.5 stone:-

700x23 - 75 front and 90 rear
700x32 - 70 front and 80 rear
700x35 - 50 front and 60 rear
700x40 - 40 front and 50 rear

I've not really pushed it to see how low I can go before getting a pinch puncture, the above are just what's worked ok here.

Typhon

I have my tyre pressures a lot lower than many cyclists, but even I recommend 80-90 PSI front and 90-100 PSI rear for a 23C tyre. (The rear wheel has more weight on it than the front one so it needs more pressure.) Tyres at higher pressures roll a bit better and lower pressures are more comfortable. Experiment to see what you prefer. The roads round here are very bumpy so I tend to choose lower rather than higher.

Being of the larger variety I need higher pressures than others to avoid pinch punctures, these are the pressures I've used with no problems, I have used higher pressures as well but I prefer lower pressure and more comfort....my weight on these pressures has been between 16 and 18.5 stone:-

700x23 - 75 front and 90 rear
700x32 - 70 front and 80 rear
700x35 - 50 front and 60 rear
700x40 - 40 front and 50 rear

I've not really pushed it to see how low I can go before getting a pinch puncture, the above are just what's worked ok here.

Thanks for the replies. Tomorrow I'll pump them up again and try and get them close to the 100 PSI mark, particularly the rear tyre. The roads round here are dreadful, particularly the country lanes I ride on however I am doing my first group run in 9 days time and I need all the performance boost I can get!! After that if I find them too uncomfortable I can just let a bit more air out after all.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Thanks for the replies. Tomorrow I'll pump them up again and try and get them close to the 100 PSI mark, particularly the rear tyre. The roads round here are dreadful, particularly the country lanes I ride on however I am doing my first group run in 9 days time and I need all the performance boost I can get!! After that if I find them too uncomfortable I can just let a bit more air out after all.

Totally agree, it has to be what works for you, and we weren't recommending using specific pressures.. I think the reason both Colin and I posted what we did is there are a lot of claims on the web that you need really high pressures to avoid pinch puntures. These are patently untrue as evidenced by our own experience.

But for the trade off between comfort and speed, that's really down to individual preference.

Typhon

Totally agree, it has to be what works for you, and we weren't recommending using specific pressures.. I think the reason both Colin and I posted what we did is there are a lot of claims on the web that you need really high pressures to avoid pinch puntures. These are patently untrue as evidenced by our own experience.

But for the trade off between comfort and speed, that's really down to individual preference.

Yep that was my main concern - that my low pressure would lead to bad consequences. So thanks for reassuring me about that. :smile: Now I can just fettle to my heart's content!

Top Bottom