Tyre Pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

harveymt

According to the Vittoria app, given my weight, I should have my tyre pressure at 140. This is fine during the summer but maybe not so much with the winter coming in. I knocked it back to 120 this week. Feels a little more comfortable on the road, no frost or ice yet so I don't know if it sticks to the road better. Any point in lowering it further? Is there an optimum level for pressure in potentially icy conditions?

U

User6179

Would depend on your weight and size of tyre ?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I am surprised by this high pressure. I'm no expert but find anything above the 110-120psi range unnecessary, In fact I find little difference between 90-110 so usually only go for a pressure between 100-110 so it will still be at a decent pressure next time I take the road bike out.

I am around 95kg, what do you weigh and what tyre & tyre size are you using?

Brommyboy

Über Member
If you have a bicycle with drop bars, the weight distribution is about 40/60%, front/rear. That means that the front tyre does not require as much pressure as the rear. For 140 Lbs pressure at the rear I would assume that you are using 19 mm tyres and have a very high weight!

U

User6179

If you have a bicycle with drop bars, the weight distribution is about 40/60%, front/rear. That means that the front tyre does not require as much pressure as the rear. For 140 Lbs pressure at the rear I would assume that you are using 19 mm tyres and have a very high weight!

The only thing about the 40/60% recommendation is that when you go downhill the weight shifts forward to 60/40 ^_^

OP
OP
H

harveymt

I'm around 105kg/110kgs at the minute. 23 mm tyres. I used 140 as that was what the Vittoria calculations told me to go with.

U

User6179

I'm around 105kg/110kgs at the minute. 23 mm tyres. I used 140 as that was what the Vittoria calculations told me to go with.

You would be better on 25s imo if you have the clearance , I would not go much below 120 rear and 100 on front at your weight on 23s , on 25s you could get away with 100/90 and would feel a lot smoother .

the_mikey

Legendary Member
85kg and I run 23c at 105 psi each.
25c at 115psi each.

Jdratcliffe

umm in 168 pounds ? 12 stone not sure about the kg conversion and i run cont 23mm 4000s (summer)and 4 seasons (winter) at 120 front and 125 rear ? is that bad? seems high from what others have written...

OP
OP
H

harveymt

And wouldn't you know it, all this talk of tyre pressure, I leave work last night in the dark and rain and naturally the rear tyre is flat.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Gah, sod's law, isn't it?!

I run 32c at 85-90psi on my commuter, and 27x1,1/4s (almost the same as a 32c) at 100psi on my Sunday best ten speed. By the book this is a high-ish pressure for the tyre size and for my weight (68kg). However, I do (psychologically?) seem to find it harder work at lower pressures, and constantly have the feeling that I must have got a slow puncture and be heading for a full on flat.

Can't say for sure (no basis for comparison), but I imagine frame material will also make quite a difference to how "hard" your tyres feel when riding? I'm on steel frame/forks, for what it's worth.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
umm in 168 pounds ? 12 stone not sure about the kg conversion and i run cont 23mm 4000s (summer)and 4 seasons (winter) at 120 front and 125 rear ? is that bad? seems high from what others have written...
If you like riding them, no, it's not bad.

If you're rattling your fillings out, and praying for the sweet release of oblivion, then yes, it's bad.

Tyre pressures are something of a personal choice, and bear a degree of experimentation. At a similar weight to you, I like my GP 4000s[1] at a lower pressure, personally (100/110 maybe) but that could well make you feel like you're wallowing. I usually find that Continental's recommended pressures are a good place to start - too harsh, try 10psi lower, too soft, try a bit higher.

[1] But I like Pro Race, and Krylion Carbon more, tbh :smile:

Top Bottom