Tyre pressure?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Halfords in Gosport has a great team of lads. I'd say they know what they're doing!

I still prefer the personal service from my LBS though. Town Bikes
thumbsup.png

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I've got a dodgy tube on my rear tyre right now - it inflates happily up to 100psi (or 8 bar, whichever is lower) and then the valve goes on strike. After letting the pressure down a few times and taking another run at it I just decided to live with that tube until it punctures and then it's heading for the bin....

Cubist

Still wavin'
Bought a new track pump from halfords, own brand one for £20. Checked my tyre pressures and i can't get my tyres above 65psi although the tyres state 85psi? The pumps definately working as i deflated and inflated but as soon as i hit 65psi it just didn't want to budge? Any ideas?
It sounds to me like you aren't actually getting air into the tyres at all, just the line. Make sure the valves aren't sticking and if they are presta give them a push to start them off before you put the pump head on. If they are Schrader, make sure you are using the right part of the head

OP
OP
T

Tow Path Terror

Well, whatever the problem was its now sorted. Got home today and had another go and hey presto, 85psi no problem! Maybe it was the valves sticking, or not sticking whatever the case may be. They certainly took some air in the first time i inflated them but really wouldn't budge above 65psi. On the other hand it could have been the large slive of homemade carrot cake giving me some extra strength. Thanks for the replies gents, i'm already finding this a very helpful forum.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Postscript: there are two possible problems: firstly the little stalk in your valve may be sticking shut - it helps to depress it briefly before you connect the pump so as to free it. Secondly and more likely is that you bought a pump with a fat barrel for MTB tyres and you simply can't achieve the pressure. A track pump for road bikes needs a long thin barrel to enable you to get the pressure, not a fat short barrel. My walking buddy bought a cheap pump and it's fatter than mine so you need muscles like a gorilla.

OP
OP
T

Tow Path Terror

Postscript: there are two possible problems: firstly the little stalk in your valve may be sticking shut - it helps to depress it briefly before you connect the pump so as to free it. Secondly and more likely is that you bought a pump with a fat barrel for MTB tyres and you simply can't achieve the pressure. A track pump for road bikes needs a long thin barrel to enable you to get the pressure, not a fat short barrel. My walking buddy bought a cheap pump and it's fatter than mine so you need muscles like a gorilla.

What a cheek!!! I definately have the correct pump, even i'm not that silly!!! The first, and definately more likely reason was probably the valve sticking!

Globalti

Legendary Member
The barrel only needs to be a few mm wider than necessary; it's not something anybody could be expected to notice. Many track pumps are designed with MTB tyres in mind - volume not pressure.

ashleygreen14

I have a Spesh track pump and find that the valve often sticks, stopping air from going in the tube. Usually have to take the pump off, release the pressure, unwind the valve slightly, refit the pump and it's good to go.

Top Bottom