Tyre pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They are mtb/hybrid tyres are they not?

Nope, road wheels, old brittish sizing

tyred

Legendary Member
that's about a 32mm in new money isn't it? I think the max pressure limit I've seen on any of my 32mm, or larger, tyres is 85psi.

Correct. I run tyres in that size and they are usually rated at around 75-90psi. I also have a set of 27 x 1 1/8" Conti Ultra sports which I also run at 70-80psi despite a 120psi rating and not a single puncture to report in about 1500 miles.

Any attempts to run these tyres at 120psi make the bike unrideable on anything this side of a billiard table (IMO).

OP
OP
T

The_East_Stand_View

Good points. I just bought a decent pump and the shop filled them to 60 psi. The tyre says max 100 psi. I've ridden to work twice on sixty. I've taken them to 90 psi and I'll see how it goes. May be to firm a ride, attract punctures, but worth an experiment.

rossjevans

The 32mm Borough tyres on my Tricross are recommended up to 100psi which is what I run them at.

How do you find the ride? Punctures?

Generally fine, obviously depending upon the road surface. Suffered from one puncture so far but that was not long after I picked the bike up and hence pressures were at whatever they were when it left the shop. I subsequently bought a decent track pump and pressured them to 100 and been fine since (touch wood).

peelywally

if tyres say 100psi chances are they would be tested to around 110 or maybe 120 psi so take to the 100psi mark without any worries .

Arsen Gere

Über Member
One thing to be careful of is too low a pressure on narrower tyres < 23mm can lead to snake bite punctures. I run some conti supersonics 20mm and they puncture easily on less than 100 psi. They'll take up to 170 but track pump and the rims wont. They feel good for time trials and training, they hum as the speed picks up and it acts as an incetive, so I run them around 120.

For work I run softer 23mm tyres around 90-100 psi, higher pressure through industrial roads means more punctures, so I don't blow them right up.

Top Bottom