Tyre pressures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuarttunstall

Hi

As some of you may know after 35 odd years away I have come back to cycling and so far enjoying it...

Now, I have a question about tyre pressures...

As I am a large bloke, using an online calculator I worked out the ideal pressure for my tyres and my weight is around 67 PSi. ..

3 weeks ago I had my first puncture, which I expected on the roads I am using until I get the hang of it again, so when repaired I can remember that I inflated the tyre to 60 PSi checking with a Topeak pressure gauge

https://www.topeak.com/global/de/products/gauges/351-smartgauge-d2

Last week I purchased a Topeak track pump...

https://www.topeak.com/global/de/products/floor-pumps/1079-joeblow--sport-iii

Today I decided to check the tyres using the new pump, the rear was not far off needed about 5-6 PSi adding but the front was around 50 PSi so lost 10 in the 3 weeks....

Does this sound normal or could the front tube I repaired still have a slight leak? or could there just be some difference in the gauges calibration, original is digital new is analogue... :smile:

Stuart

Slick

Guru
Totally normal, 3 weeks is quite a long time between checks. I check mine almost every ride.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Thanks for the fast reply... I only do about 15 miles each weekend for now, but when I get better and more used to it I will check them every time :smile:

I expect that there will be some difference in readings between the two gauges, plus when you remove the pump/gauge you get a small release, which I think the instructions say may be a couple of Psi..

Will check them again next weekend and see if they change :smile:

Slick

Guru
Thanks for the fast reply... I only do about 15 miles each weekend for now, but when I get better and more used to it I will check them every time :smile:

I expect that there will be some difference in readings between the two gauges, plus when you remove the pump/gauge you get a small release, which I think the instructions say may be a couple of Psi..

Will check them again next weekend and see if they change :smile:
Sounds like a plan. Good luck with your return to the fight.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Hi

As some of you may know after 35 odd years away I have come back to cycling and so far enjoying it...

Now, I have a question about tyre pressures...

As I am a large bloke, using an online calculator I worked out the ideal pressure for my tyres and my weight is around 67 PSi. ..

3 weeks ago I had my first puncture, which I expected on the roads I am using until I get the hang of it again, so when repaired I can remember that I inflated the tyre to 60 PSi checking with a Topeak pressure gauge

https://www.topeak.com/global/de/products/gauges/351-smartgauge-d2

Last week I purchased a Topeak track pump...

https://www.topeak.com/global/de/products/floor-pumps/1079-joeblow--sport-iii

Today I decided to check the tyres using the new pump, the rear was not far off needed about 5-6 PSi adding but the front was around 50 PSi so lost 10 in the 3 weeks....

Does this sound normal or could the front tube I repaired still have a slight leak? or could there just be some difference in the gauges calibration, original is digital new is analogue... :smile:

Stuart

Two questions,

What size tyres,
What size man.? Only really need to answer the first.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I used this.... I am about 125KG now (and decreasing) , so 70KG = 55 Psi add 1 PSi for each 5KG over that ... 55KG over added another 11 PSi....

Athough I never said I was good at maths lol

upload_2018-6-23_18-8-16.png

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
700 x 42c Schwalbe Smart Sam and I am 125KG at the moment... Still big but less than the 163KG I was a few years back :smile:

Ok, nothing at all wrong with your pressure then. Punctures just happen. Enjoy the riding and the progress.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Thank you :smile: appreciate your help ...

I am still keeping away from traffic and using lanes around home until I get more confident and stable, but they are not the best, not maintained, lots of sharp stones which caused the puncture, only about 4-5 mm but stuck in the tyre and just caught the tube....

Once I feel better I will venture on better roads.... really enjoying what I do, go out before 7 am on Sat/Sun morning and adds a little more to the 4 days I do at the gym, soon get rid of this remaining 3 stone :smile:

Getting better though, managed to ride up a long slope which I usually run out of steam, not steep but about half a mile long with a "steeper" section... felt good to finally cycle all the way! another goal off the list lol

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

That is the culprit that caused my puncture... about 4 mm still stuck in the tread lol ... It must have just touched the tube as it took me ages to find the hole lol... in fact the tube stayed inflated it was that small... though I was going mad..

Stone.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You have fairly wide, podgy, tyres so 67psi is plenty.

Most of us run a bit more in the back than the front.

High pressures don't do as much to reduce rolling resistance as some people think.

If I were you I'd aim for about 60psi in the rear, 50psi in the front.

Regular checks is worthwhile, but there's no need to worry if you forget or don't get around to it.

Nothing bad would happen if you did a ride or two with 30 or even 25psi in the tyres.

Ajax Bay

Guru
50psi in the front; 70 psi in the rear would be my recommendation.
Nothing bad would happen if you did a ride or two with 30 or even 25psi in the tyres.
Depends if you think 'snake bites are bad, because I'll take a level bet that that's what would happen to the OP if they rode a rear tyre inflated to only 30psi, the first time they hit a significant edge/pothole.

Top Bottom