Tyre Pressures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,
I'm hoping for some idea of what my tyre pressures should be. I have a Carrerra (I think it's a Subway Limited, if that makes sense?) that I haven't really used for ages. It looks a bit like a mountain bike but without the big chunky tyres. The tyres say they should be inflated to between 40 and 65 psi. Is it usual for pressures to be that high? And should I be getting them to the lower or upper end of that range? Thanks in advance

vickster

Legendary Member
Depends to some extent on your weight and terrain being ridden, the heavier you are the higher they should be to avoid pinch punctures

OP
OP
L

Lazy Fat Vegan

Regular
Thank you. I'll be on roads/pavements, but I am far heavier than I should be so I'll get them somewhere near the upper end of the range.

raggydoll

Über Member
The recommended tyre pressure is specific to each tyre.
My mountain bike tyres say 40 - 65psi too.
I always pump them up to the top level it safely says.

My road bike has 23mm tyres currently and I pump them up to around 120psi.

Experiment though and see what is comfortable for you.

Just don't go higher than it says on the side of the tyre!

You may find there's a range of pressures that will work for you.
At the softer side it may be slightly be more comfortable because your tyres will absorb some of the bumps.
But if you go too soft there will be a risk of pinch punctures.
The harder side of the range may be slightly faster due to a slight lower rolling resistance, but you may suffer more from road buzz.
So experiment a bit to find a best pressure that works for you.

Luck .......... ^_^

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hi,
I'm hoping for some idea of what my tyre pressures should be. I have a Carrerra (I think it's a Subway Limited, if that makes sense?) that I haven't really used for ages. It looks a bit like a mountain bike but without the big chunky tyres. The tyres say they should be inflated to between 40 and 65 psi. Is it usual for pressures to be that high? And should I be getting them to the lower or upper end of that range? Thanks in advance
I don't know this particular bike and has been said recommended tyre pressures vary considerably. The pressures stated are not high though.

The correct pressure is what feels comfortable for you within that range.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You can't guess ftom the tyre size. The MAXIMUM pressure of some 700 x 23 tyres is lower than the MINIMUM pressure of others. The Vredestein Fortezza TriComps needed to be run at stratospheric pressures (they'll take 185psi, and 130psi at the rear is about as low as I'd go) or they are vulnerable to pinch punctures, as my mate discovered last night. Some Schwalbe Duranos have a maximum pressure of only 115psi and will happily pop off the rim at 120psi.

One issue with the wide modern road rims is that they are not rated for much over 100psi.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Similar with my Conti 'Grand prix Supersonic' 700x20 180 psi max and I get pinch punctures below 150 psi on the rear.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You can't guess ftom the tyre size. The MAXIMUM pressure of some 700 x 23 tyres is lower than the MINIMUM pressure of others. The Vredestein Fortezza TriComps needed to be run at stratospheric pressures (they'll take 185psi, and 130psi at the rear is about as low as I'd go) or they are vulnerable to pinch punctures, as my mate discovered last night. Some Schwalbe Duranos have a maximum pressure of only 115psi and will happily pop off the rim at 120psi.

One issue with the wide modern road rims is that they are not rated for much over 100psi.

vickster

Legendary Member
Similar with my Conti 'Grand prix Supersonic' 700x20 180 psi max and I get pinch punctures below 150 psi on the rear.
Hardly comparable to the fairly fat tyres on a Carrera Subway and the OP says it says 40-65psi on the tyre :scratch:

Top Bottom