Tyre pressures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

For the most part I'm not too bad. If the road surface gets a bit iffy though then yeah there is that.
I was also on a long decline on the day of my accident. It was a long straight & I was going all out for me to see if I could tip 40mph as hadn't done it before (usually max out about 35-38). As I hit the 40 marker the bike certainly got all wibbly-wobbly.

Now i'm not sure if that's the tyre pressure playing its part, rider (in)experience, whether the bike itself or the gears can't handle that speed or what. Perhaps a combination of the lot. It didn't feel great that's for sure so I had to ease off.

Possibly a speed wobble?

Ajax Bay

Guru
see if I could tip 40mph as hadn't done it before (usually max out about 35-38). As I hit the 40 marker the bike certainly got all wibbly-wobbly.

Now i'm not sure if that's the tyre pressure playing its part, rider (in)experience,
"Many cyclists who have experienced a speed wobble report that pressing a knee against the top tube, or gripping it with both as you rise [less than a cm] off the saddle, cures it."
To which I'd add: loosen any 'deathgrip' on the handlebars: let them wobble a bit.
Job Brandt's take, with John Allen's disagreement: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/shimmy.html
Edit: I suspect my experience is not dissimilar to others: experience it, survive, find out about it, stifle it promptly if(when) it seems to be starting again.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
"Many cyclists who have experienced a speed wobble report that pressing a knee against the top tube, or gripping it with both as you rise [less than a cm] off the saddle, cures it."
To which I'd add: loosen any 'deathgrip' on the handlebars: let them wobble a bit.
Job Brandt's take, with John Allen's disagreement (and a video): https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/shimmy.html

Yep, don't death grip it, and shift position to ease it a little. Tyres should have little to no impact on a speed wobble, my understanding is that it's largely down to bike geometry.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
For the most part I'm not too bad. If the road surface gets a bit iffy though then yeah there is that.
I was also on a long decline on the day of my accident. It was a long straight & I was going all out for me to see if I could tip 40mph as hadn't done it before (usually max out about 35-38). As I hit the 40 marker the bike certainly got all wibbly-wobbly.

Now i'm not sure if that's the tyre pressure playing its part, rider (in)experience, whether the bike itself or the gears can't handle that speed or what. Perhaps a combination of the lot. It didn't feel great that's for sure so I had to ease off.

Unless the tyres are very low pressure it’s more likely that the frame has developed a shimmy. Knee against top tube and relax.

OP
OP
T

Two-Wheels

I weigh about the same as you, OP, and use 45 front and 50 rear in my 35c tyres. The ride is still poor because I allowed myself to be persuaded to fit Marathon plus! The flippin' things just won't wear out either!

I was chucking some junk out of the shed yesterday & had a gander at what the tyres actually said on mine to be sure. I thought they only gave a maximum but they actually gave a minimum too I guess.

Tyres say to inflate between 60psi & 90psi.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Ah so that’s why my Garmin has a temperature display .

I jest but then Wahoo Bolt can connect to the valve caps that broadcast tyre pressure! You can then display tyre pressures as a data field.

GuyBoden

Guru
It's interesting that Track cycles are still specified to have 119psi at Manchester Velodrome.
http://www.nationalcyclingcentre.com/track/information/track-bike-specification/

I run 110 psi on my turbo tyres. They rarely hit pot holes on Zwift
The recommended track 119psi, indicates to me that if UK roads were smooth (very unlikely), 119psi would be recommended on roads too, when using 21 to 25mm tyres. Therefore, we just need better roads, not less psi.:laugh:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The recommended track 119psi, indicates to me that if UK roads were smooth (very unlikely), 119psi would be recommended on roads too, when using 21 to 25mm tyres. Therefore, we just need better roads, not less psi.:laugh:

The boards used in the track have a natural spring in them and are nicely smoothed. I suppose if the roads were made of wood…

Top Bottom