Tyre question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
Hi, is there any difference in quality between folding and non folding tyres ? I ordered some 4 season tyres and folding ones turned up , they are on the website a lot cheaper , I have never fitted folding tyres so do not have any idea re quality, they are for a well used commuter

gbb

Legendary Member
I got GP4000 2's last year, my first folders. Ride wise they dont feel any different but they were much harder to fit, not having the wire bead makes it harder to get the tyre I to the rim, it just seems to go where it wants to, not where its wanted.

Like for like, there's no difference other than the material used in the bead.
However, I doubt you'll find a high-end tyre in a steel bead and soft-bead version. Usually at the high end it is soft bead only. But it is only for marketing reasons.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Both options are available on the website , I’ll inquire tomorrow and see if I can get the beaded ones if these folders are problematic to fit

Both options are available on the website , I’ll inquire tomorrow and see if I can get the beaded ones if these folders are problematic to fit
Not all folders are difficult to fit, just like some steel ones are difficult to fit and some are easy to fit. It all depends on what you get on the day and what rims you have.
I won't choose based on a rule-of-thumb regarding difficulty. I'll simply go for the cheapest or, if you want to carry one as a spare on say a tour, then definitely get at least that one as a folder.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I can see why manufacturers and retailers would prefer folding tyres. They must get quite a lot more packed onto a container, require less space to store, and easier to ship tto customers!

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
The conti 4 seasons folders are about 45 or so but with Markdown they are 35 , they are for my GF commuter and she gets around a bit so with the winter on its way she needs better tyres than were fitted by trek when she bought it , I may go with these folders ,

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Folding tyres are considerably lighter. There's no disadvantage except price.

Folding tyres are considerably lighter. There's no disadvantage except price.
Being an old fashioned type am always suspicious of lighter stuff.
Asking a daft question, why are they lighter?
Do you get less rubber for your money?
Is the saving in wire?
If so, can this cause issues with tyre retention?

OldShep

Über Member
Being an old fashioned type am always suspicious of lighter stuff.
Asking a daft question, why are they lighter?
Do you get less rubber for your money?
Is the saving in wire?
I usually buy folders They are lighter because cord is lighter than wire. The rubber bit in the middle is the same. I find them easier to fit/remove and rarely need a tyre lever. Never had one leave the rim either.
Blow up a tube and sit it in the tyre overnight to give it shape if you’re having trouble fitting a floppy new one.

That's a very interesting question.

Most people think tyres are held in place, against air pressure inside, by the strength of the bead. In other words, they imagine that the bead resists expansion as the tyre inflates. Following on this, they then ask questions about the relative strengths of steel and rope (kevlar) beads.

Tyres are not held in place by the bead resisting expansion. The bead is merely there to position the tyre in a groove inside the rim.

The tyre is designed in such a way that it shrinks with inflation and it is thus held onto the rim with a constricting force. You can cut the bead in several places and provided you didn't damage the casing of the tyre itself, you can safely inflate it and ride it. It will not pop off or explode.

Top Bottom