tyre rabit hole

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil-b

Über Member
Im looking for some new tyres for my trek fx hybrid bike for leisure rides and some commuting

I want something lightweight for road and cycle path that is good in the wet also.

Any recomendations please

and do tyres really make a massive difference or will something basic work equally aswell

vickster

Legendary Member
What width do you want? What’s on there at the moment?

More costly tyres tend to be lighter, better rolling resistance and/or more puncture resistant.

Will you go off-road at all or are the cycle paths decent tarmac or very light gravel?

Not sure any bike tyres are great in the wet, just be very careful on corners, roundabouts, white lines/road markings and esp metalwork :smile:

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
What width do you want? What’s on there at the moment?

More costly tyres tend to be lighter, better rolling resistance and/or more puncture resistant.

Will you go off-road at all or are the cycle paths decent tarmac or very light gravel?

Not sure any bike tyres are great in the wet, just be very careful on corners, roundabouts, white lines/road markings and esp metalwork :smile:

bontrager race all weather 700x32 are what is on it now

pretty much all tarmac riding

I dont know if I should just get something similar but my thinking was I should keep it light if I can

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Depends on your priorities. Do you want something fast and light or rather heavier with better puncture resistance? You also could consider going a bit fatter (clearance allowing) for a slightly more comfortable ride. Weight isn't going to bother you too much on a hybrid so you might find one of the flavours of Schwalbe's Marathon could suit you. The GG at the budget end are good but if you want ultimate puncture resistance the Plus, a bit heavy, and a bugger to mount for the first time. Top of the heap is the folding Mondial for which Schwalbe claim "Evo technological construction allowing impressive cornering traction, low rolling resistance and impressive puncture resistance" All are very popular particularly the GG which is a good blend of performance and price.

Last edited:
Continental Contact Plus Reflective 700c Tyre

I mix road, cycle path, shared trail, dirt and some offroad (when dry!) with those. I use a 700x35 though I wish I could go larger. Never had a spill in the wet on them though I am careful depending on the conditions - a tyre won't save us from riding like a wally!

I used to use Schwalbe Marathons but swapped to these a few years back and haven't looked back.

biking_fox

Guru
nd do tyres really make a massive difference or will something basic work equally aswell
Yes you do get what you pay for. Cheap tyres tend to wear out much faster, and probably puncture more often and/or are heavier for the same performance.

You probably don't need the marathon plus, unless your tarmac is particularly rough - I switched to MP after shredding a lot of lighter tyres (inc conti) even though the riding was basically always tarmac, but that is commuting every day.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
@Cycleops ok what looks best (it may just come down to that
Well, there's a choice between grey, charcoal, nearly black and anthracite :smile:.
I've just bought a pair of Schwalbe G One which have tan sidewall for my gravel bike. That's about the only variation in the sizes you're looking at.

Top Bottom