Tyre recomendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WonderBob

Hi,
My wife just inhereted a Specialized Sirrus (2005) from her father which has 622/14 rims on it. He had 25mm road tyres on it, but we want to go on family rides out with the kids, which will be mainly local country roads and the odd tow path etc.

what is the biggest tyre size I can get on there to make a slightly more comfortable ride and a bit more grip. I was looking at the Schwalbe Marathon 32mm but open to other suggestions.

i know I also have to check clearance with the forks.

thanks in advance.

simongt

Guru
On the basis that the bike has 26'' rims, from experience, I would recommend the Schwalbe Marathon Plus 1.35. I've used these for several years on my daily 12 mile commute; urban / rural and have had very few issues with them. Not a particularily fast tyre, but excellent puncture resistance. :okay:

upandover

Guru
I think this might be a mistake Simon. Apologies if I'm wrong, but the Sirrus has 700c/622 wheels, as Bob also says.

The 2010 Sirrus could take a 35 tyre, and the newer ones even wider, but older ones tend to be narrower. Not much help, except to say I switched one of my bikes from 25 to 32 and the difference was substantial.

simongt

Guru
700c/622 wheels,
Now there's a coincidence - ! I've just fitted a pair of Marathon Plus 700 x 622 ( 700 x 28c ) to my beloved forty year old Dawes Fox. Max pressure is 7.7 bar / 110psi, so they are no slouch. A bit of a sod to get on first time, but sure that'll ease when they mould to the rims with use. Cut fifteen minutes off my daily commute both ways today - ! ^_^

Top Bottom