Tyre Repair or New?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pauluk

I had a rear puncture the other day during my commute, caused by a glass splinter. The tyre is ok wear wise but when I look at the place where the damage is, I can almost see the tube through the cut in the tyre. The cut is about 5mm at its longest point and about 1mm wide, It does narrow towards the inside near the tube.

Is there anyway this can be repaired or should I just not worry about it.

If I change the rear tyre I'm thinking of buying the Schwalbe Marathon Plus with smart guard 35C. I would like a tyre with lowish rolling resistance and good puncture resistance for my road commute and this seems to fit the bill. However, I do some off road stuff where by I may encounter some muddy bits. Does anyone know if this tyre will be ok in light off road conditions.

Any advice appreciated.

Hawk

Veteran
Wetsuit glue might help you out (stormsure, ebay it).

Pictures would help :smile:

HovR

Über Member
Superglue can often be used to fix cuts in tires, and has worked for me recently - However if the cut has gone all the way through the tire it may be better to just replace.

hoopdriver

Guru
I'd bin the tyres if you can see the tube. Why take a chance.

Marathon Pluses are a good tyre. They are about as puncture-proof as you cann get. they roll well and last for ages. No, they do not roll as swiftly as a sporty road tyre, but that is not their function. They are designed for touring and commuting - or anyplace really where you really truly do not want a puncture and need your tyres to last. I have them in my winter bike. Who wants to be fixing a flat on a cold dark lane? Not me. So far, and I have used Marathon Plusses for years and in tours all over the world, I have yet to get a flat with one. And I have ridden many a century day on them on tours, found it no trouble, so their rolling resistance can't be that bad.

They an be a pain to install. Steel cored tyre levers are the trick here. The nice thing though is that once you have them on you will probably no need to take them off again until they have worn out - about 20,000 miles down th track. I like them. It depends on what you are doing, but for an utterly reliable workhorse of a tyre they are hard to beat.

OP
OP
P

Pauluk

Thanks for the replies guys. hoopdriver that's good to hear, reducing puncture incidents will be good news. Its not that I mind them that much but sometimes you just could do without them if you know what I mean. I'm sure they'll be ok on road, dry or wet, but do you think they'll be ok on mud. I'm not talking steep mountain trails, just canal tow paths and trails.

hoopdriver

Guru
They'll be fine. I know exactly what yo mean regarding punctures. Not the end of the world of course, but they do dusrupt hat nice continuity of a ride. And if you're riding to work, who wants to arrive with grubby hands, ir late?

Top Bottom