Tyre sidewalls, threads coming loose

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pclay

Veteran
hi, my tyres are now 2000 miles old, and the sidewalls have started falling apart. By this, I mean threads are coming off the sidewalls like in the photo. Is this anything to worry about? I’ve found these threads wrapped around skewers and jockey wheels in the past. Are these tyres now ready for the bin?

Thanks

Ps, they are the cheap Wiggle own brand tyres (LifeLine Essential Road Tyre at £9.99 each)

2EB0542F-D1BF-49E0-812D-1BE5136D7A36.jpeg

Sharky

Guru
Don't like the idea of threads coming off and getting caught up in the drive train, but as long as there is no bulging anywhere, the side walls are probably ok.

I noticed this on my 32 mm rear gatorskin hardshell so cleared the threads away. I usually run it at 80 psi so pumped it up to the max permitted 94 psi and it held ok, so let it down to 80 psi and carried on using it.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The threads come from a fabric strip that gets stuck on to protect the tyre casing from the rim hook. Continental tyres are well known for similar loose threads.

Just snip off the loose threads with scissors.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Mine are Conti GP4000's, it looks like their moulting, but they're great tyres with not too much wear so I didn't want to bin them if they were still okay.

silva

Über Member
Just guessing, I think inside the rubber there is a woven textile, and a good job is to make seams at the edge, meaning you fold the weave one time, or even better two times, so that the edge gets embedded inside, and thus protecting / preventing the outer thread to shift out the weave, then the single or double folded is stitched through to keep it like that, in this case, embedded inside rubber.
So if threads lose, then they probably just didn't make seams, it's cheaper to make without.
It's often seen in cheaper clothes, backpacks, whatever textile based, especially inside pockets.
If it's a artificial thread (nylon, polyester...), an option is to strike a soldering tool along the edge, melting it, so the outher threads are like welded together and won't lose.
But this is rubber, so I think no option since rubber doesn't melt.

Chislenko

Veteran
Just a word of caution. I happily carried on riding on my Conti 4000s with endless threads coming from them.

Eventually the inner tube popped through a section of the side wall which had become incredibly thin in comparison to the rest of the tyre.

So whilst I appreciate most of us on here know that Contis are well known for this I think a periodic check on the side walls wouldn't be a bad thing.

Top Bottom