Tyre size help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mattk50

MattK50
Hi,

I want to buy a trainer tyre for my bike. I looked on my tyre and it says 700x32C, 32-622. I can't see that measurement in the trainer tyre options though on amazon. Can someone help?

Thanks

Matt

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Hi,

I want to buy a trainer tyre for my bike. I looked on my tyre and it says 700x32C, 32-622. I can't see that measurement in the trainer tyre options though on amazon. Can someone help?

Thanks

Matt
With those sized tyres, your wheel is probably 19-622 (double check though) which means it will take a 700x28c tyre. But note you don’t need a trainer tyre to use a trainer. I have used a Schwalbe Durano tyre for mine with no issues whatsoever.

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
Missus is saying she can smell burning rubber though sometimes! I usually wipe the tyre with rubbing alcohol though which helps. I figure a trainer tyre would have more surface area grip?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Use the 32-622 width-diameter measurement. All others risk errors. You can vary the 32, probably down to 25 and up to 40 if your forks have clearance for it.

If Amazon can't find such common sizes, it is yet another excellent reason to avoid them.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Missus is saying she can smell burning rubber though sometimes! I usually wipe the tyre with rubbing alcohol though which helps. I figure a trainer tyre would have more surface area grip?
Others have more experience with trainers than me, but I doubt that's tyre unless it is slipping... and if it is, is there some tension or pressure adjuster needing resetting?

vickster

Legendary Member
Just harder compound I think. Surface area would be same broadly in same size/width? Just get a harder slick tyre if not a turbo one (they are hard to find at the best of times, let alone Covid stripped shelves times)

700x25 at Decathlon, widely available in stores https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/turbo-trainer-tyre-700x25/

Otherwise all the rest are 700x23. Not like you need a fat tyre on a turbo (just one that fits rims as above)

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
There is a Schwalbe 35mm on Amazon, but think out of Germany. Don't see the point of so wide

Big John

Guru
I've spent many (un)happy hours sat on my turbo and rollers over the years. I even bought a training tyre once. Waste of money IMO. Normal tyres work fine and they're usually cheaper than a fancy training tyre. As for the smell of burning rubber....if that's the case something needs looking at. I've never had a tyre hot enough to smell of burning rubber no matter much welly I've given the bike. The faster you go, the faster the drum spins on the turbo. I'd check to make sure it runs freely. If it isn't that may be enough to cause friction and the burning rubber smell.

Lovacott

Über Member
If Amazon can't find such common sizes, it is yet another excellent reason to avoid them.

You can buy pretty much anything on Amazon but their search algorithms are also designed to find as many alternative close matches as possible.

I've pasted in product codes for bike parts and it finds them but they are buried amongst pages of results for things which may be a "close" match.

Not much good when it considers a 27.5" MTB tyre to be a close match to a 700c road bike tyre.

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
It's on 2.25 turns which is just enough to prevent the tyre slipping when cycling. Mostly, it's when the tyre/roller is dirty I think.

Top Bottom