Tyre size help...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark barker

I've just been given a Dawes Galaxy tourer (its an oldie!) and it needs some tlc. First on the list is tyres & tubes as the current ones are past their best. The problem is I don't know what size to get! The current tyres have the following markings: 28-830 (27x 1 1/8). So, anyone care to shed some light on what size wheels this has got?

One other thing... It looks like the gear set has been replaced at some point in its life (currently has Shimano Deore 46, 36, 24 combo). Am I right in assuming this is more MTB type stuff? (the rear derailleur is marked "Exage 500 LX")

Any help gratefully received! :thumbsup:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
From the numbers you have 27" wheels.

The Deore stuff is mountain bike equipment, but it's quite common to put mtb equipment on tourers (and the shimano stuff works together in most cases)

How's the frame (and can we have a pic?
biggrin.gif
)

OP
OP
mark barker

mark barker

Thanks folks, I'll pop out tomorrow and grab some tyres & tubes, hopefully go for a test ride tomorrow afternoon! :smile:

How's the frame (and can we have a pic?
biggrin.gif
)

The frame is in really good condition (colour is a bit dodgy though!). I'll take a few pics tomorrow (bit too dark now)

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The number on your tyre will be 28-630 (not 830)

Any tyre that is sold as xx-630 or 27" will fit, but anything other than 27 x 1 1/4" = 32-630 is becoming difficult to find these days and will probably require trawling the interweb.

Top Bottom