Tyre size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Hi , what size tyres can I fit on mavic aksium one wheels. I usually fit michelin pro 4 25mm, a friend gave me 2 pairs of conti gp 4000s 23mm as he didn't like them he said it will fit those wheels. Am not sure it just look pretty narrow compare to the 25mm, will it by OK?
They'll be fine. Just measured my '25mm' Mavic Yksion Comp tyres on Aksiums - front, at 90psi = almost exactly 25mm. '23mm' GP4000s , on Mavic Kysrium rim, front, at 100 psi = fractionally under 24mm - so just about 1mm difference! It can be interesting see what the width of your 23, or 25, or 28mm tyre actually is. In fact I was quite surprised that the Mavic 25mm tyre was 25mm!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Modern chains can be virtually bent back on themselves

@Racing roadkill can you help us with a reference to the scale of improvement in the development of tolerance of lateral stress in chains. I have had a cursory look, sparked by your observation but found little of relevance? The width of blocks/cassettes has increased over the implied period so that will have increased the cross-chain angles, and chains have been forced to narrow. Will that have had a beneficial effect on tolerance of lateral stress or otherwise, or neither (neutral)?

Don't you think that even 'virtually' that's stretching it a bit, as I assume you don't mean in a longitudinal axis (when any chain can in reality let alone virtually be bent back either way 'on themselves' (to touch the adjacent link))?

@Racing roadkill can you help us with a reference to the scale of improvement in the development of tolerance of lateral stress in chains. I have had a cursory look, sparked by your observation but found little of relevance? The width of blocks/cassettes has increased over the implied period so that will have increased the cross-chain angles, and chains have been forced to narrow. Will that have had a beneficial effect on tolerance of lateral stress or otherwise, or neither (neutral)?

Don't you think that even 'virtually' that's stretching it a bit, as I assume you don't mean in a longitudinal axis (when any chain can in reality let alone virtually be bent back either way 'on themselves' (to touch the adjacent link))?

It's down to improved machining tolerances and manufacturing techniques. Not to forget advances in material quality / quality control. Obviously only a massive idiot would take "bending it back on itself" literally, and actually try it. That really would take a horn gobbling bib dribbler of epic proportions. But a modern well made chain, from a reputable company, with a modern quality system, will be much better, with regards to resistance to lateral loads. Than a chain from the good old bad old days.

Top Bottom