Tyre sizes on a 622/17 rim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nicey74

Hi there, I am running a touring bike with a child seat on the back. I am pretty chunky and with my daughter on it I would like to do more to spread the shocks to the frame (steel). I'd like to put a fatter/wider tire on it and find the sizing on the shop websites a bit baffling. Does anyone know what width tire or can recommend one for heavy loaded touring to me.

It looks like I have a fair bit of clearance to the frame

Much appreciated

Richard

the_mikey

Legendary Member
For a 622x17 rim, you can run700x25, 700x28, maybe 700x30 or maybe bigger, but check the frame and more importantly the brake calipers will accomodate the tyre adequately.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Your rim may have its size marked on it eg 21-622. The '21' is the internal rim width and 622 is the ETRTO (international measurement standard) for the notional wheel diameter (in mm) - add 2 x 39mm (height of tyre) and you get to the 'old' 700 nomenclature.
Lack of clearance through calipers (rim brakes) for an inflated tyre has easy (if slightly irritating) workarounds.
A 'pretty chunky' person with a 15kg child on the back will need a 42mm wide rear tyre up at 80psi (wild estimates on tyre load made) which is likely the maximum rating for the tyre. Better data = more specific advice. HTH

Top Bottom