Tyre sizing help - please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shanks

I'm thinking of buying a Raleigh Sprint - http://www.coventrycyclecentre.co.uk/m21b92s6p2932/RALEIGH_Sprint_2011

I understand that bikes at this price range can have some limitations but I'm wondering if I'll be able to fit a 700x23c trainer tyre on it. It states 28mm tyres so I'm assuming this means 700x28c. Will this be possible or is the difference too great? I'm sorry if it's a daft question but I can't find any indoor trainer tyres in a 28 size. Thanks

The short answer is that you should be able to fit 23mm tyres to a wheel that takes 28mm.

For the long answer, take a look at this article on tyre sizing by the late, great, Sheldon Brown. Down the bottom there is a chart showing best fit between rim & tyre widths

OP
OP
Shanks

Shanks

Excellent - thank you both. It's a new/second user bike (they haven't had it long and it doesn't suit them) so I don't think they will be able to or interested in changing the tyre over. And I already have a 700x23 trainer tyre here ready to go on. I just didn't want to buy the bike and then find it won't fit. Thank for the help though and for the link to that site - a goldmine of useful info.
Cheers

Top Bottom