Tyre Slime "it actually works"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi all.
Last year I fitted some tyre slime inner tubes hoping to evade the dreaded puncture whilst out on the bike. I've done a few thousand miles since fitted ,and have only suffered one pinch flat which the slimy goo tubes would never work on. This week's been a busy one as regards to cycling and I've travelled 220 miles on mostly back lanes on my skinny 23mm 700c wheels. The lanes are always full of things to puncture tyres like thorns and flints but they held up real well. Today I managed a 61 mile ride which took me around Lake Vynwny and its surrounding roads.
Just 4 miles from home I could hear a strange noise coming from the front wheel. On closer examination a piece of thin wire had embedded itself into my tyre. I reluctantly pulled the wire out of the tyre and was met by the dreaded hiss of it deflating and green goo leaking out.
A few spins of the wheel , and it stopped leaking ! :-) :-)
I've been a bit sceptical as to whether slime tubes were worth the extra money ,and to if they were actually any good , but after today's experience ,I'm really sold with these tubes and will continue to use them .

You just have to remember that if you do get a puncture, all you have to do, is locate the nasty, hook it out, then just reinflate the tyre. You don’t have to take the tube out.

I used to use goo in the tubeless tyres on my kite buggy with great results but one of the few punctures I had where I've not had my kit (I'd changed saddle bags and hadn't swapped the contents over) was in a slime filled tube. I don't know why it didn't work, I might've just been unlucky

Serge

Über Member
I used to use goo in the tubeless tyres on my kite buggy with great results but one of the few punctures I had where I've not had my kit (I'd changed saddle bags and hadn't swapped the contents over) was in a slime filled tube. I don't know why it didn't work, I might've just been unlucky
I've had the same, it turns out there was no slime in it! I had to walk two miles through Daventry to the nearest Halfords for a replacement.

Not a happy bunny.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My lucky puncture kit has kept me puncture free for a good five years... good going since i ride almost every day.

The last puncture occurred when i had my lucky puncture kit but lacked the allen key to undo my 'quick' release... and Sod knew this.

Providing i have everything i need to fix a puncture, i don't get any.

Drago

Legendary Member
I cycle through Dav in disguise to avoid trouble.

Hillbilly.jpg

Serge

Über Member
You walked through Dav and you weren't abducted by hillbillies?
No, but I knelt down to tie my shoelaces and someone nicked my cleats.

Top Bottom