Tyre slime

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
I was looking at a bottle of tyre slime which had a tool for removing the core of the valve in the cap, is this tool used for shrader or presta valves? as it didn't mention this on the bottle.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I don't know about the valve, would suspect it is a schrader as you can do this to car tyres but why not just buy a slime tube? Would be a lot easier surely?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The key will be for a Schrader valve core.

Slime cannot be fitted in Presta tubes because the opening is so small the slime thinks it's a puncture and tries to seal it.

Putting the slime in from the bottle is easy enough, but when you pump up the tyre - and check its pressure in use - the slime inevitably gets into the pump nozzle and tries to seal that.

Best to use a pump with a cheap detachable nozzle.

AndyPeace

I was looking at a bottle of tyre slime which had a tool for removing the core of the valve in the cap, is this tool used for shrader or presta valves? as it didn't mention this on the bottle.

I was a regular user of various tyre slimes. I no longer use it, A set of tyres with decent puncture protection, coupled with reading and using the recommended air pressures on the tire is all that's needed.
They don't need to be expensive tires, simply ones with a puncture prevention layer. Modern tires are pretty awesome!

As said above the valve remover is for shrader valves. Presta valves can be filled but it's a messy job and can interfere with the valves, making it difficult to pump tires to the correct pressure.

OP
OP
PJ79LIZARD

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
as I thought, all my tyres run presta tubes, so no use to me, been having a few deflations in the last week, just been unlucky, was just losing my rag and thinking of extra protection tatctics.

Lee_M

Guru
The key will be for a Schrader valve core.

Slime cannot be fitted in Presta tubes because the opening is so small the slime thinks it's a puncture and tries to seal it.

not actually true, you can get some presta valved tubes that you can take the core out of same way as with schrader and can then use slime in the same way.

I think Schwalbe can be de=cored, contis not, and some bontrager can

wisdom

Guru
Just a thought.
I dont use slime or similar,because i wouldnt know i had punc****d.At least with normal tubes i would know when i had a pu***ure and can inspect the tyre for foreign bodies.Is that a good way of looking at it?

DRHysted

Guru
Just a thought.
I dont use slime or similar,because i wouldnt know i had punc****d.At least with normal tubes i would know when i had a pu***ure and can inspect the tyre for foreign bodies.Is that a good way of looking at it?
I've been running the slime inner tubes for a while now, and I know from experiance that you do know when you get a pu***ure. There's a big bang, followed by a high pressure jet of green slime, a second of hiss, and that's it, all over carry on. At the end of the ride I inspect the tyre.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
not actually true, you can get some presta valved tubes that you can take the core out of same way as with schrader and can then use slime in the same way.

I think Schwalbe can be de=cored, contis not, and some bontrager can

The core comes out of all Prestas as far as I know, but the aperture with the core removed is still too small for slime.

That's why the tube on the slime bottle is sized to fit over the larger Schrader valve.

Lee_M

Guru
The core comes out of all Prestas as far as I know, but the aperture with the core removed is still too small for slime.

That's why the tube on the slime bottle is sized to fit over the larger Schrader valve.

again nope, i have many inner tubes where the presta core isnt extractable.. I also need to tell my hybrid inner tubes that they have to give up the stuff I've put in them if the hole is too small :rolleyes:

Top Bottom