Tyre slip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
I'm using 25mm gatorsins.

It's getting leafy and slick on the country roads I'm commuting on. It's +630m so fairly hilly, and going up the hardest bit, the renowned 25% grade, I had several adrenalising rear wheel slips yesterday, but managed to stay upright and rolling forwards.

Can I get better grip without sacrificing puncture resistance?

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm using 25mm gatorsins.

It's getting leafy and slick on the country roads I'm commuting on. It's +630m so fairly hilly, and going up the hardest bit, the renowned 25% grade, I had several adrenalising rear wheel slips yesterday, but managed to stay upright and rolling forwards.

Can I get better grip without sacrificing puncture resistance?

Or can you use a lower gear and less power.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I can't get lower gear, sit any more than I do or turn the pedals much less than 56rpm.

So, back to tyres...

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Lower the pressures slightly?

Could do, I think 100 is minimum. :okay:

Funnily enough, I swapped onto Gatorskins when I had a problem with Vittoria Rubino Pros breaking traction on damp climbs last autumn and haven't had any problems since.

I can only say "chapeau" to your clearly superior climbing power :okay:

I use vit pro on my race bike actually.

I'm pretty weak really, <3W/kg , I just never give up ;)

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I ran Vittoria Zaffiros through a full winter and only had one visit from you know who and no had issues with grip.
Plus the Zaffiros are cheap as chips, despite not getting a whole lot of love from some quarters

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I ran Vittoria Zaffiros through a full winter and only had one visit from you know who and no had issues with grip.
Plus the Zaffiros are cheap as chips, despite not getting a whole lot of love from some quarters

I got one commute ride out of my zaffiros. Punctured every other commute ride until I got gators. That was A road commuting, this is quiet, hilly, country lanes.

On 25mms with a 40/55kg distribution. According to this, I should use 110 rear, 75 front which seems a bit dicey, so switch to 23mm at 90 on the front.

http://road.cc/content/feature/1808...e-pressure-—-balancing-speed-comfort-and-grip

Maybe not practical, but you could switch to tubeless tyres and therefore safely run lower pressures. Also, or instead, use wider tyres, and thus lower pressure. I ride - to use a generous term for 'struggle' - seated, up 20-25% gradients on wet, autumn roads without tyre slip.(28mm tyres, 60/75 psi)

Broadside

Guru
I used to have a nightmare with Gatorskins wheel spin so switched away from them, but looking back I used far too high pressure for my weight (80kg).

I used to have them around 115psi but these days just put 80psi in my Tyres

What weight are you? I wouldn’t follow w the Min inflation pressure too closely.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
with tyres i have found its down to luck as far as punctures are concerend.
Gators i found slippy and rubbish at protecton so i ran rubinos last year and had maybe 4-5 punctures which for me is good given the debris on the cycle lane i have to use .
This year i had 15 in the first 4 months , then none till last week .
Runnning zaffiros atm as they came with the stock wheels on my new boardman which got swapped out , can tell fark all between them and the rubionos .

This is an interesting scenario. I assume the surface is asphalt and the reason for slipping is a coating of leaves or moss on the road itself. The other assumption is that you can't sit and spin but have to resort to standing and pedaling slowly with powerful pulses that slightly reduce weight the rear wheel because of the way you lean forward on the power stroke.

You therefore want to resort to improved grip. In that case, lower pressure won't work. Nor would any different type of tyre compound. Narrower tyres pumped much harder will work better, but whether the margin of improvement will be enough to prevent slip, is questionable.
The problem arises from a lubricious layer between tyre and road which prevents contact between tyre and road. Higher pressure may penetrate the layer or at least allow some road roughness to penetrate, hence my guess that narrower and harder is better than wider and softer.

Much wider and softer will only work if the slippery patches are smaller than the tyre's contact patch. By going softer, you increase the contact patch size and overcome the small slippery spot now enveloped within it.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've had slip on greasy hills with different tyres. I suspect that the centre tread of some tyres has a harder compound than the shoulders. At least, I have never had problems cornering with them. Weighting the back wheel by moving back or sitting, and picking your path, is what I do.

Top Bottom