Tyre splitting - bin it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Exchanged for new tyre. Explained to till person, seemed fine but then questioned the November date, a bit dubious after that but didn't say anything, I'd have been happy to have a talk with one of the bike workshop guys though. But I'll definitely be buying other stuff from Decathlon again so win win.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Last Michelin Pro4 Endurance I rode lasted over 8000km on rear. Did seem to nick up a bit more than Continentals. Replaced before PBP 2019 (with a 4000SII).
Even if the cracks are just cosmetic (sort of) they offer the way in for little sharp bits. I agree that 1600km seems an unreasonably short endurance, given the tyre model. But the seller/supplier cannot know how far you've actually ridden it. I think @I like Skol is a bit optimistic.
I have a new one of these waiting to go on.

@Joffey - that's an entirely different failure mode, but I appreciate you're saying that, in these trying times, you'd be best to minimise the chances of ride ending failure and that brownie-point-losing rescue call.

As an aside, how do you find this tyre? It feels good but punctures more often than I'd like, although it's always by glass. I'm still using them as I bought four in one go, but if I'd only bought the two I might have been looking for something different.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Reference the Michelin Pro4 Endurance and 'off topic'
I don't keep a note of when I puncture but expect I may have had one in its 8224km. Its final outing was over Dartmoor (include some cross moor on grassy/stony track) and after the ride while cleaning I saw a couple of places where the carcass was starting to show, but thankfully I hadn't punctured. 8000+km on the rear is more than I have had with either the Michelin Pro4 Service Course and more than with several GP4000s. Maybe GP 4 Seasons lasted longer. You can't get 4000s any more. So I have a pair of 5000s which might go on soon, till the autumn.
https://www.bicyclerollingresistanc...ason-2015-vs-michelin-pro-4-endurance-v2-2015

silva

Über Member
Exchanged for new tyre. Explained to till person, seemed fine but then questioned the November date, a bit dubious after that but didn't say anything, I'd have been happy to have a talk with one of the bike workshop guys though. But I'll definitely be buying other stuff from Decathlon again so win win.
Is it a same tyre? Model, look, maybe production year / serial?

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Is it a same tyre? Model, look, maybe production year / serial?

Like for like, so same make, model and size. No idea about year/serial number, I didn't have the old box but I wouldn't ever have looked at that anyway.

pawl

Legendary Member
The only tyre I have had a cut in the side wall was a Rubinho this after changing from Michelin Quickly changed back to Michelin.

I have had Michelin back on for the last two years Had one of those things which we don’t mention by name in the last two years I only changed to Rubinhos because of the good write up

silva

Über Member
A 6 months / 1000 miles tyre looking like that - the rubber got degraded somehow some period. Especially that front tyre, if it had been due to wear, the rear tyre is loaded much more than the front and should wear much faster, it's the opposite in your case.
Possible scenarios for the rubber degradation: exposure to high / low temperatures, UV light, reactive gases containing oxygen (alike ozone). It all needs some time though, maybe the tyres got stored in such bad conditions for a while. Without knowing how old the tyre was when you bought it, it's hard to say.
You didn't have a trouble day due to it (nobody carries a spare outer), got replacement, story end. If the replacement doesn't show the same.

rustyroger

A car or motorbike tyre in similar condition would be an automatic 3 points on your licence plus a fine. For the very good reason that it is in a dangerous condition.
Bin it and put a new one on.

Roger.

Top Bottom