Tyre Suggestions for Genesis Longitude

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fleetey

Veteran
Hi

I’m looking for ideas for replacement tyres for the Genesis Longitude

Running the original 2.8″ Trailblazers on WTB i35 rims

Any ideas for a more general tyre for road/tow paths etc?
Will those rims accept a 2″ tyre?

Thanks!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What about Schwalbe Marathons? They come in 27.5 . 2.00 tyres should work on your rims.

tallbikes

Regular
What about Schwalbe Marathons? They come in 27.5 . 2.00 tyres should work on your rims.
Schwalbe are a great brand ,
But what are these measurements (27.5 .2.00) never seen this measurement before, I'm fascinated by different ways people have to measure tyres and rims lol

FishFright

More wheels than sense
At an internal width of 35mm 2.0" may be pushing it a bit as these rims are for the 27.5/650b+ size tyres

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
What about Schwalbe Marathons? .

Regardless of what ISO size is currently fitted, the chances are there will be a Marathon in the same, or a compatible size readily available. Really bomb-proof tyres, and if you buy savvy and get them on a deal online, they will work out cheaper per mile than buying cheapo puncture-prone tyres. Wiggle are currently selling 700 x 38 Marathon Greenguards for £15.99!

OP
OP
fleetey

fleetey

Veteran
Thanks for the suggestions so far - I've had a look at Schwalbe Marathons and Mondials - I think it's the width I'm concerned about on the 35mm frame.

The rims are WTB Scraper i35 - and I can't find anywhere the 'minimum' tyre width these rims will accept!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Unless you can find someone who has tried this and as there aren't too many bikes with this rim width and diameter it may be a case of suck it and see I'm afraid. I think the 27.5 Marathons just come in 1.65 width. It could work otherwise you might have to buy a new set of wheels. You might be able to puck up a set of cheap hybrid wheels and even go to a bigger diameter as the bike can take up to 29 but if you do go bigger it will affect your standover.
The trouble with these fat bike inspired set ups is they might look very cool but unless you're spending a lot of time in mud or soft loose surfaces they're of limited practical use. On the road they just suck the life out your efforts as I'm sure you've found out.
Good luck .

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
You can get Panaracer Gravel King SK in 27.5x1.9 (a great tyre for road and trail) but I think they would be too narrow for 35mm rims (I'm running 700x43c on exal 19 on my Cross-Check).

WTB Nano are available in 27.5x2.1 (I've used 700x40c in the past) another good road/trail tyre.

Edit: Sheldon Brown website suggests "A general guideline is that the tire width should be between 1.45/2.0 x the inner rim width" This suggests any tyre between 50.75 and 70 would run OK on 35mm rims.

2" is equivalent to 50.8mm so (to answer your original question) 2" tyres should be OK on 35mm rims.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fleetey

fleetey

Veteran
Thanks for all your help - will give the Nanos a try I think

Nibor

Bewildered
Unless you can find someone who has tried this and as there aren't too many bikes with this rim width and diameter it may be a case of suck it and see I'm afraid. I think the 27.5 Marathons just come in 1.65 width. It could work otherwise you might have to buy a new set of wheels. You might be able to puck up a set of cheap hybrid wheels and even go to a bigger diameter as the bike can take up to 29 but if you do go bigger it will affect your standover.
The trouble with these fat bike inspired set ups is they might look very cool but unless you're spending a lot of time in mud or soft loose surfaces they're of limited practical use. On the road they just suck the life out your efforts as I'm sure you've found out.
Good luck .
I have put some 29er wheels on mine with 35mm tyres and the standover is if any thing slightly lower.

Top Bottom