Tyre upgrade for winter riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
Hi all,

I have a Merida ride 500 disc which came with Maxxis Detonator 25 fold tyres which were ok for summer but might be a little light weight for winter so was wondering on an upgrade. I also hope to get a little more stability on maybe fitting wider tyres, maybe 28c?
I’d be grateful for any tyres recommendations.

Slick

Guru
I just fitted Durano + for winter riding, but everyone will have their own favourites.

vickster

Legendary Member
Durano raceguards on my winter bike. Spa Cycles have them for a good price (and other Schwalbe models)

broady

Veteran
Continental Gatorskins for me, run them year round on both road bikes and they're impossible to fault.

Grip is the biggest fault, in that it just isn't there in the wet

Svendo

Guru
I’ve used Michelin pro4 endurance v2 on the commuting bike for a while now, round here get decent puncture protection, main cause is broken glass round Rochdale. They have good mileage and better wet grip than gatorskins (and stronger sidewalks if not the hard cases). Used them every working day through winter, including snow and ice and closed motorway traffic. Bit sketchy on the ice .

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Other than steel spiked tyres which were a revelation to me, I never once felt the need for "winter tyres". What a bloody fad.
Just lower the tyre pressure a couple psi so there's more contact area and you'll be fine.

U

User6179

Thanks, I realise this is a bit of an open ended question so thinking of some Continental Grand Prix’s

I found the standard GPs to be crap magnets in the wet compared to the 4000s, didn't have many punctures but the tyre was always covered in crap, I had the standard on one wheel and the 4000s on another so was easy to compare.

Top Bottom