Tyre upgrade for winter riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

broady

Veteran
Never had that problem. I've found them to have better grip than several other types of tyre in fact. But that's just my experience.

What sort of speeds are you riding at?
I found them fine on the commuter most the time, but shocking on fast rides when there was any water around. I didn't find them that good in the dry on faster rides tbh.
As a positive though I've never had a puncture with them ever!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I found them fine on the commuter most the time, but shocking on fast rides when there was any water around. I didn't find them that good in the dry on faster rides tbh.

The fastest I've managed on them is just over 48mph (downhill, obviously ;)), and I've topped 40mph descending into Leavening off Birdsall Brow in the wet, although generally I'll average about 14mph on a normal ride.

My ''best" bike had Rubino Pro tyres as standard and they were great in the dry, but as soon as autumn came and the roads got damp they could lose traction quite easily when climbing (I've never had that problem with the Gators) so I swapped them for Gatorskins for over the winter and didn't bother changing them back.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I was using Conti Gatorskins but didn't like their nickname of 'Skaterskins' when used in the wet so fitted Conti 4 seasons at the beginning of last winter and quickly picked up a few punctures so not impressed. Changed them for Michelin Pro 4 Endurance and not had a problem since. I notice that on the Michelins the puncture protect layer comes further down the side of the tyre than the Conti's so this gives more protection.

Broadside

Guru

I have to agree with @broady on this, I find they lack a lot of grip in the wet. I used to wheelspin up climbs with them and watched 2 riding buddies lose control on corners and fall off, not fun. We all ditched them because of handling issues.

I have always wondered if I ran them at too high pressure however given they are quite stiff tyres, but the thing that stops me from trying them again is that it wasn’t just me that was falling off the bike with them.

My answer now is to use Michelin Pro 4 Endurance year round and when they start puncturing too often put new tyres on

mangid

Guru
My ''best" bike had Rubino Pro tyres as standard and they were great in the dry, but as soon as autumn came and the roads got damp they could lose traction quite easily when climbing (I've never had that problem with the Gators) so I swapped them for Gatorskins for over the winter and didn't bother changing them back.

I found exactly the opposite :-)

Used to be a Gatorskin user, but found them skittish, and the rear would spin at the first sign off dampness when climbing. Changed to Pro 4 Endurance for a couple of years. Now I use Rubino Pro year round, definitely more secure, and I haven't noticed any significant difference in the amount of punctures I get. The Rubino's do wear faster however.

broady

Veteran
I'm not a fan of the Rubinos for fast cornering in the damp/wet conditions.
I do have them on my commuter and run around bikes and they have been great! They roll well and have good puncture resistance

Johnno260

Veteran
Don't put the detonators back on, they live up to their name!

I used the P-Zero in the summer, my Ribble has Vittoria's on them at the mo, I will see how they go in the wet but may change them for something else.

I used Vittoria Rubbino Pro's last winter and had no issues with grip or punctures.

Top Bottom