Tyre upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lancj1

Appreciate I am probably going to get as many answers as replies, however I regularly read that upgrading tyres makes a big difference.

What are your views on the best tyres to put on a road bike that is used for getting fit and going on bike rides on roads - not racing or touring, just getting out for a few hours.

Ta in advance

MattHB

Proud Daddy
something that doesnt puncture or get cut up too easily. You can go uber-lightweight, but I tried this and the rear lasted 2 weeks (Ultremo).

I personally like conti gatorskin's in a 25. They roll nicely, absorb some of the rubbish roads, arent too heavy and seem to be pretty bullet proof!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Try Michelin Lithion2's - roll very well and I commute on them all year. Not expensive at less than £15 each. You want the best then the likes of Michelin Pro Race 3 or 4, Schwalbe Ultremo or Conti GP4000 are pricier, and less hard wearing.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Another vote for gator skins , i had some ultremos and i did not even dare use them as they might be fast but they are dang thin and cut up quick.

My Father-in-law, just back from cycling 5-weeks and over 2000 miles cross China.
He only had one puncture with his Schwalbe Marathon tyres and as he was leaving to fly back he ended up flogging his tyres, tubes and wheels to separate riders who were continuing on through Japan (he did Japan last year) as they had had so many punctures/ problems with heir lightweight wheels and slick tyres on the roads there and in the 40 degree heat.

So, Schwalbe Marathons seem to be good all-rounders!

Top Bottom