Tyre Upgrade!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeitup

Veteran
I am currently running Schwalbe Road Cruisers (26 x 1.75) on my commuter mtb but wish to get some better tyres.
I wish to stick with Schwalbe as I have had no P******s after 1000miles.
What are the views on either the Marathon Kevlar and the Marathon plus tyres. I also would like to know whether having slightly thinner tyres will make much difference tooo (1.5 or 1.35) Oh yes will adding a pannier rear rack make any difference as I am a hefty geezer and wonder if all the added weight of panniers etc will make my tyres end up being pancakes.

ta

mike

Milo

Guru
Marathons are a true horrible beast to fit but great at resisting punctures.

Mr Pig

I've been using Specialized Nimbus Armadillo for years with no complaints. They're fast and highly puncture resistant but how they compare to other tyres I have no idea. But they are a good road tyre.

I'm pretty fat, about fifteen stone. I pump my tyres up pretty hard and I've never had a problem, the tyres cope fine.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I have the standard Marathons, no problems or *********, there now i've said it :becool:

I'm 16 stone and have panniers with laptop, clothes etc, run them at 100 and they've seemed pretty tough over the last 1500 miles.

Would have gone for the Plus, but couldn't find them for my ancient 27 x 1 1/4 wheels.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I have the Marathon Plus, and am very happy with them. They don't seem to have any significantly greater rolling resistance than standard tyres. I haven't done enough miles on them to judge their you-know-what resistance, but everyone who has them seem to rate them very highly for this.

Ben

twowheelsgood

Panaracer Pasela TGs.

By far the best general-purpose 'non-race' tyre available - fast, light and fairly puncture proof. They have a kevlar band and only weigh 300g, this is half the weight of many "puncture resistant" tyres and only 80g or so more than a race tyre. They have a very supple ride and can run high pressures. These can really transform an otherwise clunky hybrid or mountain bike (26*1.25).

Downsides? Some don't like the amber sidewalls. The sidewalls themseves can be vulverable if riding in deep mud or gravel. I only get about 3000km out of a rear and maybe 5000km out of a front (I'm heavy). Until scrubbed in (100km), they can be a little skittish in the wet.

In general, the more puncture proof a tyre the worse it'll ride being heavy and slow handling - it's the price you pay. The armadillo feels like it's filled with concrete than air. I'd rather live with the very occasional flat myself becuase they ruined the whole experience for me. At the moment I'm waiting to get a new one and am using a god-awful set of Bontrager selects, which are definitely NOT recommended.

Nick1979

Conti UltraGator seem to be appreciated as well, just bought a pair to replace the stock fat Bontrager selects on my hybrid. They are 320g, slick and fast, and from what I read reasonably p** resistant.

baggytrousers

I've got marathon pluses and i've got to say there almost bombproof - had them on for 12 mths now and only had one p******e - even that was a split at the base of the valve rather than anything coming through the tyre

You'll hear people moaning about how difficult they can be to fit - I have 700 x 35s and dont have a problem getting them on although I do believe it gets more difficult with the thinner tyres - other people say they're too heavy but to be honest if you're commuting to work you probably won't notice much difference anyway it's a small price to pay for the improved p*****e resistance

I'll certainly be getting them again

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Another +1 for the marathon plus's.

Yet another +1 for marathon pluses. I have the 26x1.75 tyres and I am very happy with them. Nothing is completely puncture proof, but these are the closest thing!

Top Bottom