Tyre upgrade.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biker Joe

Über Member
I've got the Carrera 'Vanquish' which came with it's stock wheels and tires.
Yesterday a friend of mine gave me a lightly used set of Continental Pro racing 700c x 23.tires. I put them on the bike and took it out this morning.
It was quite a bit of difference over the stock tires ( which have no name.:rolleyes: ). They rolled much easier, the grip was very good and they absorbed the shocks much better. Very pleased.:thumbsup:
Due to a very tight budget at the moment I now I have to wait and see if Father Christmas will help in upgrading the wheels. I've got my eye on a set of Shimano Ultegra 6700s.
Perhaps if I'm a good boy? :angel:

How tight is a tight budget? All rounder I would recommend mitchelin Kyrlion Carbon or their successor (Pro4 Endurance) (grip/p'ture protection/wear/rolling/cost) but £25 may or may not be in your budget. If it extends to £28-32 continental grand prix 4000s are better for grip and rolling and a cheaper alternative which folk swear by are Vittoria Rubinos (I didn like them for grip but that was maybe just me).

OP
OP
Biker Joe

Biker Joe

Über Member
How tight is a tight budget? All rounder I would recommend mitchelin Kyrlion Carbon or their successor (Pro4 Endurance) (grip/p'ture protection/wear/rolling/cost) but £25 may or may not be in your budget. If it extends to £28-32 continental grand prix 4000s are better for grip and rolling and a cheaper alternative which folk swear by are Vittoria Rubinos (I didn like them for grip but that was maybe just me).
I'm OK with the tires now. It's the wheels I've got to wait for.

I'm OK with the tires now. It's the wheels I've got to wait for.
Sorry I read it too fast between tasks, from the title I thought you were looking for a tyre upgrade not recommending one, enjoy :thumbsup:
Never had Ultegra wheels myself and my experience is limited to Planet X model Bs, Mavic Askium, (2nd hand) Kyrsium and Fulcrum Quattros all have been great upgrades for me looking at cost to performance.

e-rider

crappy member
Continental GP4000S will transform your bike (ride them at 120psi), and they are much better than the cheaper Continental tyres. Have a look on your new tyres and see where they were made. If it's anywhere in Asia that would suggest they are part of Continental's cheapo range. All good Continental tyres are still made in Germany.

e-rider

crappy member
Sorry I read it too fast between tasks, from the title I thought you were looking for a tyre upgrade not recommending one, enjoy :thumbsup:
Never had Ultegra wheels myself and my experience is limited to Planet X model Bs, Mavic Askium, (2nd hand) Kyrsium and Fulcrum Quattros all have been great upgrades for me looking at cost to performance.
My Fulcrum Quattro's had fallen apart after the second ride (the rear one anyway) required truing after every 50 miles after that, and was fianlly sent back to Fulcrum - I wouldn't recommend those wheels based on my experience!

e-rider

crappy member
My Fulcrum Quattro's had fallen apart after the second ride (the rear one anyway) required truing after every 50 miles after that, and was fianlly sent back to Fulcrum - I wouldn't recommend those wheels based on my experience!
Depending on whether Fulcrum replace the wheel, or allow the shop to give me a refund (my preferred option) I've been eyeing up some Ksyrium Elites.

Based on my experience for cost to performance I would ;)
Good Luck with your or your new Kysriums. I got a 2nd hand pair and they never let me down good strong wheels and after the 160mile Tour of Flanders (Cobbles) and much more the were still true. They are only offline because of bike failure and hopefully I can get my shimano bike fixed :thumbsup:

MikeW-71

Veteran
For tyres, my personal favourite is the GP4000S. Close second is the Vittoria Rubino Pro. The latter can normally be found cheaper.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
If thr budget is really tight then ribble usually have shimano r500s for 70 ish a set. Very good wheels for tge price and seem to be comfortable too.

Mavic aksiums are a bit racier and are about 120 from memory.

I think either ianruk or fossyant run the ultegra wheels, mught be worth dropping them a mail for their opinions.

goody

Veteran
The Vanquish has R500's as standard. I will be interested in the recommendations as well as mine are nearing the end of their service. I had been thinking of going the handbuilt (for comfort) route rather than the lightweight factory race route.

OP
OP
Biker Joe

Biker Joe

Über Member
The Vanquish has R500's as standard. I will be interested in the recommendations as well as mine are nearing the end of their service. I had been thinking of going the handbuilt (for comfort) route rather than the lightweight factory race route.
My 'Vanquish' came with Mavic CXP22 rims on nameless hubs.
Serviceable for now but nothing to write home about.

Top Bottom