Tyre upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rickh01

Über Member
As a beginner in road cycling I have a decathlon tribal 300 bike, and want to upgrade my tyres to something decent, does anyone have any idea which would be a good buy?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What is wrong with the tyres already on the bike?
When they wear out, then you upgrade.
Just wasting money otherwise.

Last edited:
:welcome: to CC Rick.

Tip of the day - the best puncture protection you can get IMO is...................................................the correct tyre pressure.

If you don't have a track pump then invest in one, the Topeak JOE BLOW range are very highly regarded, FWIW I use their Max II pump. Check your pressures regularly, top them up and keep them up.

If you really want to upgrade what are the roads like around your way? Some tyres offer superb grip but wear quickly, others are regarded a tad more skittish but wear extremely well and offer great built in puncture protection.

Unless you have money burning a hole though I'd second what Ian said, wear out your original tyres and then upgrade, in the meantime you'll have loads of time to baffle your brains with tyre choices.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I remember the Kenda LR3PRO tyres that came with my giant defy 2 in 2010, fastest tyres I've ever ridden! Puncture magnets after 300 miles though... Enjoy the tyres until they wear out :thumbsup:

On the Triban 3 , I upgraded to Lithion 2s...they seem to work for me and for £10 at Planet X, they're cheap as chips but do a good job :-)

OP
OP
rickh01

rickh01

Über Member
I've been told off a few people that the tyres that came with the bike are awful, being an absolute beginner in road cycling I have no idea. But thought that being told off a couple of people there must be some truth in it. They are decathlons own btwin tyres

I had also had a triban 3 and the best thing I did was to ditch the tyres that came on them. they had no grip and I didn't feel confident on them, then after 300 miles the sidewalls started to fail.

What do you want from the tyre? grip? speed? puncture protection?

I wanted grip and puncture protection so I went with Schwalbe Durano Pluses. But watch your clearances around the brake callipers. The T3 had very minimal clearances and this did cause tyre size choice issues. Mine was absolutely max of 700x25c and better on 700x23c.

OP
OP
rickh01

rickh01

Über Member
:welcome: to CC Rick.

Tip of the day - the best puncture protection you can get IMO is...................................................the correct tyre pressure.

If you don't have a track pump then invest in one, the Topeak JOE BLOW range are very highly regarded, FWIW I use their Max II pump. Check your pressures regularly, top them up and keep them up.

If you really want to upgrade what are the roads like around your way? Some tyres offer superb grip but wear quickly, others are regarded a tad more skittish but wear extremely well and offer great built in puncture protection.

Unless you have money burning a hole though I'd second what Ian said, wear out your original tyres and then upgrade, in the meantime you'll have loads of time to baffle your brains with tyre choices.
Thanks mate, yes I keep my tyres at 90 psi because I know about tyre pressure because I have been an mtb' er for years and have just started my road biking life

OP
OP
rickh01

rickh01

Über Member
Wha
I had also had a triban 3 and the best thing I did was to ditch the tyres that came on them. they had no grip and I didn't feel confident on them, then after 300 miles the sidewalls started to fail.

What do you want from the tyre? grip? speed? puncture protection?

I wanted grip and puncture protection so I went with Schwalbe Durano Pluses. But watch your clearances around the brake callipers. The T3 had very minimal clearances and this did cause tyre size choice issues. Mine was absolutely max of 700x25c and better on 700x23c.
what does 700x25 mean? . The bike I have is the new white triban not the old red model.

How long have you had the tyres Rick ? If they are worn out (p'turing more than normal is a good sign) you need to consider properties such as grip (especially in the wet), roll, p'ture protection, durability and cost. For excellent grip and roll properties and OK p'ture resistance, I like Continental Gran Prix 4000s. For all round however, I prefer the Mitchelin Pro 4 Endurance.

Wha

what does 700x25 mean? . The bike I have is the new white triban not the old red model.
It's the tyre width. My road bike runs on 700 x 23 tyres but will take 700 x 25 if I wanted, (although not with guards).

Some say that 25's offer more comfort although IME I couldn't tell any difference when I tried 25's, and TBH I didn't like the look of my bike with the wider tyres on either :blush:

OP
OP
rickh01

rickh01

Über Member
How long have you had the tyres Rick ? If they are worn out (p'turing more than normal is a good sign) you need to consider properties such as grip (especially in the wet), roll, p'ture protection, durability and cost. For excellent grip and roll properties and OK p'ture resistance, I like Continental Gran Prix 4000s. For all round however, I prefer the Mitchelin Pro 4 Endurance.
I've had the complete bike since Christmas but didn't get out on it till February due to bad weather. So all in all the tyres haven't done many miles at all

Top Bottom