Tyre Wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris432626

I've noticed some very small holes in my rear tyre since using it on the turbo, it may be coincidence as I've put around 2,000 road km on it since new. What's the average lifespan of a tyre?
(Schwalbe Ultremo ZX)

U

User6179

I've noticed some very small holes in my rear tyre since using it on the turbo, it may be coincidence as I've put around 2,000 road km on it since new. What's the average lifespan of a tyre?
(Schwalbe Ultremo ZX)

Less than 1000 mile for ultremo IME

D

Deleted member 1258

I'd expect about 2 years for a front and 1 year for a back, I'm doing around 5000 miles a year split between 2 bikes. My fixed which in daily use normally gets a new tyre every autumn, the new tyre goes on the front, the old front tyre gets swapped to the back and the old back tyre gets scrapped, after a year on the front and a year on the back its only fit for scrapping.

U

User6179

I'd expect about 2 years for a front and 1 year for a back, I'm doing around 5000 miles a year split between 2 bikes. My fixed which in daily use normally gets a new tyre every autumn, the new tyre goes on the front, the old front tyre gets swapped to the back and the old back tyre gets scrapped, after a year on the front and a year on the back its only fit for scrapping.

what tyres are you using?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
It depends. How heavy are you, how strong are you, where do you ride?
Tyre wear can be considerably faster if you are consistently putting a lot of power through the back wheel (eg an Alpine tour, spending a lot of time climbing).

For road tyres (gatorskin etc), I get around 2500 miles for a rear and 6000 for a front, no swapping.
If you use heavier tyres they can last an awful lot longer. I know someone who got 42,000 miles from a pair of Conti TT 26x1.75 (original version), and it wasn't tread wear that killed them in the end.

Top Bottom