tyre width

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spennie

Veteran
For the last few years, i've been riding on schwable Durano 11/8 tyres at 80 psi front and 100 psi rear on my ice sprint, which i find are an idea tyre for me for the riding i do. But i have a little speed wobble and feel the trike a little unstable doing 30+. would kojaks 1.35 cure this problem but still give me the same sort of performance the durano give me?

I've found tyres make no difference to the handling of a trike bar grip in corners/when stopping.
I've never had a speed shimmy but I've heard of them ... :sad:
I'd first check over the trike itself for anything worn.
Is there any sideways play in the fold joint/suspension joints ?? I worn fold joint caused my trike to wander at speed last year.
Any play/stickiness in the headsets/steering ?? Worn/stiff bearings causes my trike to hunt for a line on corners.
How are the wheel bearings ?? I've killed a few front ones but no real change in handling.
Are the spokes tight on all the wheels ?? I've had loose front spokes but they only really increased tyre wear.

AlanT82

I had a wobble and found that the headsets were a little loose, so probably worth checking them first. As Tiger says check your fold joint because I've noticed that mine has a fair bit of play in it that must be contributing to some "wandering" that the trike has developed.

I don't know what the road surfaces are like near you but up here some of them are truly awful. I tried Duranos on my Sprint 26 and the trike got near shaken to bits. I now use a Furious Fred on the rear and Tioga Powerband S-Spec on the front - these are large volume but light and thin tyres that provide a lot of comfort without sacrificing performance. 30psi in the rear and 35 up front and the handling is excellent, very surefooted.

I have some 1.5"x 20 marathons on a couple of trikes and a set of eastern burnout 2.1 x 20 all round on the 20/20 e-trike The burnouts have minimal rolling resistance and seem to run well . The 1.5 marathons do give a harsher ride

Shimmy is a problem sometimes caused by out of balance tyres . I fitted a couple of rubber washers between the track rod ends and their mounting arms this gives enough stiction to remove the shimmy .

regards emma

Top Bottom