1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre widths - (just how exciting can this get?)

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by tredder, 23 Mar 2008.

1. tredder

tredder New Member

OK, note the following about my new secondhand tourer, I have butterfly bars, heavy-duty front rack & big old knobbly tyre... It's like riding a tractor! (I have named her 'Fergie' - fond memories of summer holidays driving the little red Massy Fergusson).

Soooo, I currently have 26 x 1.9 Schwalbe boots on, bearing in mind that I am not planning stump-jumping, rock-hopping, mud fests, does anyone have any suggestions to make regarding what is the optimum tyre size for asphalt & firm, dry off-road cycling while keeping some degree of comfort & protection from punctures.....

On one of my other bikes, I have a 'suspension' seat post, does anyone use one of these? It dosn't do much to cushion the take-off, but does smooth out the landing.......

Still snowing.....

2. wallabyhunter

wallabyhunter New Member

The tyre you want depends on the riding you do. More weight (touring) bigger tyre, more comfort.

Just commuting, skinnier tyre, less rolling resistance better fuel (effort) economy. I like Conti tyres. Good alround performance.

3. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

you can get some contis in 26x1.3, I reckon that's a good size.

4. Muddyfox

Muddyfox Veteran

I have Continental Contact Travel's on my mountain bike 26x1.75 (70 psi)

And compared to the off road tyres that was on it, i get alot more speed for alot less effort and they are fine on dry off road tracks but for touring i guess that a 26x1.50 would be a good compromise

Simon

5. 4F

4F Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

I have the continental sports contacts in that size having previously tried the 26 x 1.6. Without doubt the 1.3's are best for road use.