Tyre wobble but the rim is true

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bad boy

Über Member
Hello All !!,

Its been a while but I was hoping if someone could perhaps point me in the right direction or put my mind at ease regarding my rear wheel.

The rim is true but the tyre seems to have a very slight wobble when viewed upside between the stays. I am pretty sure it is correctly seated it certainly looks so, and I have deflated and checked, its a Spez all condition pro 2 and has done 300 miles.

what I really wanted to know was is it normal for some tyres to be slightly out or should they all be completely dead true when seated correctly and spun on a true wheel ?.

Many thanks as always.

Grasen

nothing in this world is dead true - certainly not if it made by humans

Tynan

Veteran
[QUOTE 1135305"]
It sounds like it's not seated properly. Have a look around both sides of the tyre and you'll probably find a spot where it sticks out of the rim more on one side. There are usually lines on the tyre around the sides so it's easy to see.

If this is the case, let it down and manipulate it a bit to try and get it seated properly. Then put some air into it and check again. Put some more air in and check. sometimes running a bit of washing up liquid around the tyre where it meets the rim will help it to slide into position, as will overinflating and letting down to the correct pressure (though be aware of the obvous happening!).

I find some tyres sit easily, and others are a right pain to get fitted properly.
[/quote]

check very carefully that the tyre hasn't suffered sidewall damage, my recently departed front was well on the way to seperating from the wire, it was so tight to the wheel that it was hard to spot although where it made the tyre wobble was very noticeable

Davidc

Guru
I took a tube back to the shop two weeks ago 'cos its valve wouldn't quite seat properly in the hole. That produced the effect you have.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Hi All,

Many thanks for the replies,

I have tried removing the tube and refitting but its still not rolling dead straight.

I also checked the sidewalls for damage as per Tynan's suggestion but all seems pretty ok for a relatively new tyre.

I think its just how it is sort of thing, when I say it wobbles you have to focus on it pretty closely to see but its not dead on like the front.

I don't know what else to do to be honest ?, I suppose I should of changed the tube to see if that helped ?.

In all honesty though does it really matter it very slight ?.

Thanks

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Two solutions, one dry, one wet.

A: take tube out. Talc it liberally. Put it back. The talc will stop the rubber bits sticking together and allow a uniform inflate.
B: take tube out. Squirt it with fairy liquid. Put it back. The gloop will stop the rubber bits sticking together and allow a uniform inflate.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Two solutions, one dry, one wet.

A: take tube out. Talc it liberally. Put it back. The talc will stop the rubber bits sticking together and allow a uniform inflate.
B: take tube out. Squirt it with fairy liquid. Put it back. The gloop will stop the rubber bits sticking together and allow a uniform inflate.

Thanks for the tips I will give this a go I have now had the tyre off 3 times it's very easy to get on no problems there but it does slightly wobble. Thanks again I'll update soon

Top Bottom