Tyres and tubes question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My ribble CGR came with 28mm ultra sport tyres -Ive had these before when having a new bike. Anyway I have a set of not much used GP4000S in 25mm and was going to swap these over. As I took the tube out it seemed quite large and the markings said Valvert 700 35/45 !!!!!! - I postponed the tyre swap !

Questions
  1. Could I use those existing tubes with 25mm tyres
  2. Are the 25mm tubes I currently carry as spares ok as spares -(get me homes)
  3. Have ribble stiffed me by putting a 35/45 tube in ?

vickster

Legendary Member
My ribble CGR came with 28mm ultra sport tyres -Ive had these before when having a new bike. Anyway I have a set of not much used GP4000S in 25mm and was going to swap these over. As I took the tube out it seemed quite large and the markings said Valvert 700 35/45 !!!!!! - I postponed the tyre swap !

Questions
  1. Could I use those existing tubes with 25mm tyres
  2. Are the 25mm tubes I currently carry as spares ok as spares -(get me homes)
  3. Have ribble stiffed me by putting a 35/45 tube in ?
1. I probably wouldn't, see pt 2...but you perhaps could if you can get them to fit and the tubes pumped up?
2. Why not?
3. Why if they have worked perfectly well and you weren't hitherto aware... the bike isn't brand new is it?

iluvmybike

Über Member
They will work but it's extra weight - the supplier should have put correct size in. Id phone and enquire what they wish to do...assuming its a new bike?

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
They will work but it's extra weight - the supplier should have put correct size in. Id phone and enquire what they wish to do...assuming its a new bike?
I brought the bike last autumn - but haven't ride it much due to injury. In the limited miles I have done it hasn't been an issue.

I don't know that they are the wrong size - just checking around the names can be deceiving....continental race28 for example fits up to 25mm ! - so I don't actually know that the valvert 35/45 is incorrect for a 28mm tyre.

iluvmybike

Über Member
The 35/45 refers to the width of the tyre it is supposed to fit. Vavert also do these to fit 18-25, one to fit 25-32 - which Ribble sell. Somebody probably picked up the wrong box when doing yours...it must be very bulky inside your 28mm tyres - if you go to 25mm you might have a job squashing it all in and risk pinching the tube

vickster

Legendary Member
I brought the bike last autumn - but haven't ride it much due to injury. In the limited miles I have done it hasn't been an issue.

I don't know that they are the wrong size - just checking around the names can be deceiving....continental race28 for example fits up to 25mm ! - so I don't actually know that the valvert 35/45 is incorrect for a 28mm tyre.
Just use the tubes you have. If Conti, watch out for flying valve cores!

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
The 35/45 refers to the width of the tyre it is supposed to fit. Vavert also do these to fit 18-25, one to fit 25-32 - which Ribble sell. Somebody probably picked up the wrong box when doing yours...it must be very bulky inside your 28mm tyres - if you go to 25mm you might have a job squashing it all in and risk pinching the tube
But that's the thing it jumped back in fine.

Thanks for the info above which clarifies it

Ordered some 25 tubes now anyway.

Top Bottom