Tyres Feb 2021 - recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin_P

Guru
Another what tyre thread, I know, I know.

I'm currently using some Schwalbe Tyrago's (which came fitted to the bike) in a 700x35c size which are coming to the end of their useful life. I've been really happy with them but they seem to be discontinued and no longer available.

In the past, on the previous bike, I've used Schwable Landcruisers in 700x40c which were ok until the sidewalls started cracking. Having researched, it seems Schwalbe had an issue with this cracking across the range but is now resolved?

I'm thinking about some Marathon plus touring but still remember all the talk of Marathons being heavy and not as good as the hype? I'm not worried about the weight as I'm not a speed demon. I'm wanting durability and puncture resistance more than anything else, I also like the reflective band around that a lot of the Schwalbe tyres come with.

The question is, have the rivals caught up, is there anything better?

I don't want to go tubeless and my riding is really mixed between road and moderate off road in all weathers.

Any advice or recommendations more than welcomed.

rivers

How far can I go?
Pirelli Cinturato Velos. Excellent combination of puncture protection and low rolling resistance. Decent enough for light off-roading (I've taken them through gravel and into the woods on some smooth-ish off-road paths). Can be run with tubes or tubeless.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I use Vittorio Randoneuers since moving away from the Schwalbe brand due to the wall cracking issues and also getting sent some badly misshapen tyres that had to be returned. My favourites were the folding type as these were considerably lighter than the wired version, but looks like the folders were discontinued a year or two ago.
The wired ones are cheap and hard wearing, also robust enough for some off-road abuse (although with minimum tread if that bothers you) and seem to be very puncture resistant on my urban commute.

Sharky

Guru
Interesting comments above about the side walls cracking. I had some M+'s and on fitting them for a 2nd winter season, I found that the side walls were going and a bump developed on the tyre. Moved onto Continental city contacts, which have a similar tread pattern, and have been on my winter bike for a few years. Not high mileage, but I can't remember the last time they Psssssssssssssssss.

But there are a lot of tyres out there, all good. Just got to try a few and if you immediately start picking up punctures, move onto something else.

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
Thank you all.

I like do Vittorio tyres, I have a pair of Zaffiros on my vintage roady which have been good (so far).

Those Pirelli's look lovely but look a bit too road orientated.

I think I will leave the schwabbles behind this time and try something new.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The standard Randonneurs are very draggy, worse than M+ although a lot lighter. My mate bought some and was unpleasantly surprised. M+ are great apart from the prodigious weight, which you can feel when accelerating from rest.

Tribansman

Veteran
Those Pirelli's look lovely but look a bit too road orientated.
I use cinturatos too (32s), they're great and can cope with light off road. They do slip a little on loose stuff if it's wet and I'm out of the saddle but I've found them just about ok...and never punctured off road. Absolutely fantastic on the road. I'm up to 10,000 miles on a set and only 1 (pinch) puncture

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You could also try Continental contact urban. Which are reasonably fast rolling with excellent puncture protection. Similar to Schwalbe Marathon Supremes I’d say.

https://www.bikester.co.uk/continen...1-58-reflex-e-50-spro-blackblack-1161698.html

rivers

How far can I go?
I use cinturatos too (32s), they're great and can cope with light off road. They do slip a little on loose stuff if it's wet and I'm out of the saddle but I've found them just about ok...and never punctured off road. Absolutely fantastic on the road. I'm up to 10,000 miles on a set and only 1 (pinch) puncture
I was going to say the same thing. I've taken them through a bit of single track in the woods, as well as light gravel. I wouldn't use them for serious off-road, but they cope well for light off road use

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
A conclusion and some feedback on this...

In the end I played it safe and bought a pair of 700x35c Marathon Plus.

Very pleasantly surprised with them, they do roll extremely well.

Time will tell how they age and wear.

Top Bottom