Tyres for track riding?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonk man

Hi all :biggrin: I have just started going to the Newport Velodrome and am going to take my own bike. It is a track bike that has been used on the road for tt ing, it currently has Michelin Pro 2's on it but I have read on Manchesters Velodrome website that they don't allow Michelins [ but don't say why..:rolleyes: ] so I would assume that the situation is the same at Newport?

Anyway I will need some tyres that will do the job, Continental, Schwalbe or Vittoria are acceptable for Manchester but no dual compound. Cheap and cheerful is GOOD :smile: I suppose they need to have a rounded profile and no shoulder or deep tread.

Cheers.

You're not allowed 'Michelins' at Mcr because on something like the Pro 2 you have that dual compound, harder stuff in the centre of the tread and grippier stuff on the shoulders.

Good on the road, but on a banking are you riding on the centre of the tread or on the shoulder ? They're concerned that as you lean the bike on the banking do you switch from one compund to the other with consequential sudden increase/decrease in grip which means you end-up sliding down the banking and taking other people down too.

I can't see the problem with single-compound Michelins, but dual compound tyres from any manufacturer would be the same problem, so I don't know why they don't say that rather than 'no Michelins'...

The hire bikes at Manchester are on Schwalbe Stelvios IIRC.

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

Just stuck some Conti Gatorskins on, rounded profile and quite sticky... and well run in, I have cleaned the dirt off as well :laugh: I think they'll do.. If the coach turns his nose up at them I will have to hire a bike.

Yes I can see why there might be a problem with the dual compound tyres now you point it out, cheers.

Top Bottom