Tyres fraying

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David L

Über Member
Has anyone else had issues with Schealbe lugano tyre's fraying on the side walls? (or any tyre) best i can describe is the sidewall is peeling off into sting (i will put some pics on when i can) not sure if its a manufacturer defect or some thing else

the tyres have done around 900miles in all weathers

rrarider

Veteran
I had some Specialized (touring?) gumwall tyres that were about 25 years old. They frayed on the side and I could poke my finger through if I pushed quite firmly. I didn't notice until I had a puncture and repaired the inner tube and was fitting the tyres back on the wheel. I then threw the tyres in the bin and replaced them. I think it was probably UV damage as I hadn't used the bike much and it was kept in the light. If I had tyres that had the same fault after only a few miles and a short time span, I would complain to the shop where I bought them.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
No, but the Continental Grand Prix 4000s tyres on my cousin's bike were doing that when I went to borrow the bike last week. His brother bought a couple of new ones, which I fitted. The tyres were a few years old and had only been used for light commuting.

Erudin

Veteran
I've had Continental Gatorskins get frayed looking and peel off string before after a lot of miles.

IMG_1880-001 (600 x 450).jpg .

johnnyb47

Guru
I've got a pair of Michelin's and where the gum wall meets the black treaded part there is a line of fine threaded hairs protruding . It's looks quite bad but the tyres seem to otherwise be in excellent condition.

Top Bottom