Tyres Squaring Off: Performance Issue?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have been running Schwalbe Durano Race Guard 700x32 on my Audax bike. They have 8000+km in them and are still ok. Usual micro-cuts, nothing serious.

However they are now beginning to square off but Lady Luck has kept me pretty puncture free. I wonder about performance. Do you recon I should spend the £40 and get some spangly new ones (I want to go 28 this time)

Or should I delay till autumn/winter?

the_mikey

Legendary Member
8000km!! I rarely get more than 3000km out of any tyre I've tried. I'd probably replace them, it depends on how squared off they look, in my experience the rear tyre fails before the front, but you're reporting both tyres being squared off, does one look more worn than the other?

vickster

Legendary Member
Yup 8000+km. Tyey are great tyres. AND (this’ll make you weep) That excludes 8300km on the wheel-on-turbo.

I rotate them, but at present the rear is squarer. I am heavy (73kg)
Hardly heavy at 11 stone.
I've just replaced one of those on 2500 miles ish, wore a hole in it (rear). I am heavy, as us that bike fairly

Get new tyres, Spa often have a deal on them, as do CRC

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Yup 8000+km. They are great tyres. AND (this’ll make you weep) That excludes 8300km on the wheel-on-turbo.

I rotate them, but at present the rear is squarer. I am heavy (73kg)
Rotating tyres to even out squaring off is a very bad idea. Front tyres only suffer from minimal squaring because there is far less weight on them and fitting an already squared off rear (Where the effect is much less anyway) onto the front is dodgy indeed.

In any case rotating tyres for whatever reason is a waste of time, you won't make them last longer because the same amount of rubber comes off anyway. Just replace the rear when it is worn and enjoy three time the mileage on the front before you need to do the same.

I am heavy (73kg)
No, you're not!
Edit: unless you're only 5 feet tall...
:biggrin:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Rotating tyres to even out squaring off is a very bad idea. Front tyres only suffer from minimal squaring because there is far less weight on them and fitting an already squared off rear (Where the effect is much less anyway) onto the front is dodgy indeed.

In any case rotating tyres for whatever reason is a waste of time, you won't make them last longer because the same amount of rubber comes off anyway. Just replace the rear when it is worn and enjoy three time the mileage on the front before you need to do the same.
I normally stick the old front on the rear and fit the new replacement on the front but then I've had fronts fail of old age before they wore out

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
73 kg is actually 11.5 stone, but that still isn't heavy in terms of tyre wear.

I usually ride my tyres until they have significant flats on them but keep an eye on them after that. At some point the internals of a tyre start to show through what is left of the rubber and it is definitely time to replace the tyre then.

I've had to replace a Durano Plus too (a '28') on my CGR
It had started to 'square', but with 3 roundabouts in my first 1/2 mile of commute (homewards, & 2 are downhill)
It made sense to change it, as there was a definite 'twitch' as it leant over

I decided it wasn't worth the risk, especially as I work at a Hospital & didn't really fancy returning in the back of a big yellow truck^_^

I know Schwalbe last a long time, as this is an old Blizzard(?) from many years ago (late 2007)
Someone asked if I'd ridden through red paint
But... it did show how puncture resistant they were!!
2007. Yellow Bike. 3.JPG 2007. Yellow Bike. 5.JPG

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've had to replace a Durano Plus too (a '28') on my CGR
It had started to 'square', but with 3 roundabouts in my first 1/2 mile of commute (homewards, & 2 are downhill)
It made sense to change it, as there was a definite 'twitch' as it leant over

I decided it wasn't worth the risk, especially as I work at a Hospital & didn't really fancy returning in the back of a big yellow truck^_^

I know Schwalbe last a long time, as this is an old Blizzard(?) from many years ago (late 2007)
Someone asked if I'd ridden through red paint
But... it did show how puncture resistant they were!!
View attachment 475628 View attachment 475629
You deserve punctures riding those tyres xx(

Top Bottom