Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there. I'm just back from a 5 day cycle of the Caledonian Cycle Way (Rothesay to Inverness). I took my BMC Team Machine SLR03 carbon bike. I had fitted this with Continential Grand Prix tyres - size 25. However, during the cycle, I got a puncture in the side wall - we put a temporary fix in this by putting a bit of card over the hole (the Specialized inner tubes that I had bought also had faulty valves because after I pumped them up after replacing them, the whole valve came away in the pump - the pump I use is a Lenzyne). Anyway, one of the guys on the trip has a sister in Oban and she bought me new tyres which I fitted on to replace the Grand Prix tyres. The new tyres she bought me are continental ultra sport (if I remember correctly from the label, they are continental ultra sport II).

What I'd like to know is: these new Continental Ultra Sport tyres feel very light (much lighter than the Grand Prix ones), although not much in the way of grip by the look of them. Not withstanding that no tyres if 100% puncture proof, how much puncture resistant are the ultra sport ones compared to the Grand Prix ones. Its worth nothing that I cycled for about 4 miles over rough stony ground during my cycle trip on the ultra sport tyres and had no puncture whatsoever.

Thanks in advance for your help.

J

vickster

Legendary Member
The ultrasport aren't very puncture resistant, was discussed recently. Don't know much about the Grand Sport but a sidewall puncture sounds unfortunate

Now you have the new tyres, you might as well use them until they fail more than once

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
The ultrasport aren't very puncture resistant, was discussed recently. Don't know much about the Grand Sport but a sidewall puncture sounds unfortunate

Now you have the new tyres, you might as well use them until they fail more than once

Thanks for that. What are the best tyres to buy for a carbon road bike that are light and offer good puncture resistance?

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for that. What are the best tyres to buy for a carbon road bike that are light and offer good puncture resistance?
Doesn't matter that it's a carbon roadbike unless the clearance is v limited? Vittoria Rubino are good, Wiggle was selling for a tenner recently. Light tyres by their very nature aren't as resistant as heavier ones with protection, depends what's most important. Are you now racing if so then get race tyres and carry the means to fix punctures

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Doesn't matter that it's a carbon roadbike unless the clearance is v limited? Vittoria Rubino are good, Wiggle was selling for a tenner recently. Light tyres by their very nature aren't as resistant as heavier ones with protection, depends what's most important. Are you now racing if so then get race tyres and carry the means to fix punctures

I like a bit of puncture protection but by the same token I like to be a bit "lighter" in travel I did find the Grand Prix tyres felt a bit of a "drag" (or maybe I'm just not as fit as I should be/thought I was!). I'm not racing: I just like to get out the bike.

Were these the tyres you were meaning from wiggle:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-rubino-pro-folding-clincher-tyre/

Ajax Bay

Guru
Continental GP 400S II
Personally I would swap the replacement tyres out straight away. Would you have chosen them? - "No".
https://www.bicyclerollingresistanc...0s-ii-2014-vs-continental-ultra-sport-ii-2015
Extract (note for a reason unexplained, they did not test/measure the Grand Prix's sidewall thickness but I expect it is similar to the other two):
upload_2018-5-28_15-43-11.png

Alternately Schwalbe One V-guard or Michelin Pro4 Endurance (NB not the new Power Endurance)
https://www.bicyclerollingresistanc...-v2-2015-vs-schwalbe-one-vguard-clincher-2014
Have a play with the comparison tool. Note measured weight, measured width etc. The latter, compared with specification eg 25-622, sometimes comes up narrow on some models and sometimes wide. Also know the inner rim width of your wheels as with a 15mm they will come up narrower (than the test which was done with 25-622s on a 17mm (inner) rim width).
HTH
Edited to add (reference Vittorias suggested (slower and heavier)):
https://www.bicyclerollingresistanc...a-sport-ii-2015-vs-vittoria-rubino-pro-g-2016

vickster

Legendary Member
I like a bit of puncture protection but by the same token I like to be a bit "lighter" in travel I did find the Grand Prix tyres felt a bit of a "drag" (or maybe I'm just not as fit as I should be/thought I was!). I'm not racing: I just like to get out the bike.

Were these the tyres you were meaning from wiggle:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-rubino-pro-folding-clincher-tyre/
Yes, but the price has gone up a little and they now only have 23s

You could try a Michelin Endurance pro, they are decent, although not especially long lasting based on the pair I had

How do you get out of a bike?

Ajax Bay

Guru
You could try a Michelin Endurance pro, they are decent, although not especially long lasting based on the pair I had
My recent Michelin Pro gave me 5187km (roughly) on the rear, which was similar to its predecessor. I have a 4000S II on the rear and a GP 4 Seasons on the front but will putting new 4000s on for three long rides (the first of which starts Thursday): http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-402/
I have a Michelin Pro4 Endurance waiting to go on in the autumn.

vickster

Legendary Member
My recent Michelin Pro gave me 5187km (roughly) on the rear, which was similar to its predecessor. I have a 4000S II on the rear and a GP 4 Seasons on the front but will putting new 4000s on for three long rides (the first of which starts Thursday): http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-402/
I have a Michelin Pro4 Endurance waiting to go on in the autumn.
Good for you :okay: My V1 endurances developed holes after about 2.5k miles

Ajax Bay

Guru
Good for you :okay: My V1 endurances developed holes after about 2.5k miles
Aaah, the V1s. See this extract:
"The Michelin Pro 4 Endurance is the toughest member of the Pro 4 range. It offers a 3x110 TPI casing, a Bi-Compound rubber compound, and an HD Protection layer that runs from bead to bead. This tire seems to be optimized for increased durability and high puncture protection.
"When we compare the Pro 4 Endurance with the Pro 4 Service Course (review), the only difference seems to be the HD Protection layer that runs from bead to bead in the Endurance version. The Service Course has this layer only under the tread area, which saves 30 grams of weight. All other specifications seem to be very similar.
"I'm testing the v2 version of the Pro 4 Endurance. In March 2015, Michelin quietly introduced v2 versions of [the Pro4 range but after testing the Endurance v2, this doesn't seem to be true; real improvements have been made with the v2 version.
Michelin Pro4 Service Course another option - as above: lighter but less sidewall 'protection'.

vickster

Legendary Member
Fair enough, still pretty pricy compared to my Vittorias which are no worse ime. They’ll get replaced with a pair of 25mm gators on the Genesis. Don’t do enough miles on the other skinny tyred machines to ever wear them out :laugh:

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
I've got Continental Gatorskin Hardshell 25s on my Giant Road Bike which have been great - one or two punctures but nothing too much - do you think I should put these on?

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
Tyres are great for dividing opinions.

I had Conti GP4000S fitted for 4,500 miles and had not punctures. I now have Vittoria Corsa G fitted. Too early for puncture opinion, but they do ride very nicely and smoother ride than the GP4000S. Beautiful tan walls too. :smile:

In between, I used the Ultrasport II’s that came with one bike. 3 punctures in 200 miles. Not particularly fast and lacking in grip too. They soon got swapped.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Sidewall punctures are often fatal on many tyres. Light weights are met by having thin sidewalls 1mm or less. Stony tracks on road tyres a sidewall puncture from a caught stone is not unheard off. You want to look for bead to bread breakers in a tyre. The new fivers and tenners work well as tyre boots being now made of plastic polymers.

Top Bottom